Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Rokus in Same Room

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before.  I have several Roku Express+ streaming players.

I have two different TVs in my living room so I can have two channels on at the same time.  Both TVs have their own Express+ connected to them -- which means that I also have two Express+ units in front of me.  

It seems that each individual Express+ remote can work interchangeably with ANY Express+ unit, which means that changing the channel on one TV automatically makes the other unit do the same thing.  I usually have to get up and physically place something in front of the Express+ that I don't want to communicate with to block the IR signal -- which leads to my question.....

Is it possible to pair a single remote strictly for each individual Express+ or is there no option to do this?

Thanks,
Chuck

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Re: Two Rokus in Same Room

There may be a way to do it via network using the Roku app, but other than that you have to keep your devices seperated and be very careful with the IR remote. It's done to help people that damage/lose remotes to make all Rokus (no matter the type) be able to use any remote.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
There may be a way to do it via network using the Roku app, but other than that you have to keep your devices seperated and be very careful with the IR remote. It's done to help people that damage/lose remotes to make all Rokus (no matter the type) be able to use any remote.

Thank you for the quick reply.  I looked on my Roku app under SETTINGS to see if there was a pairing option, but could not find one.  So I guess that each Express+ is designed to work with any remote.

I suppose I can do some reconfiguring and position the two players out of the same line of sight and that should work.

Thanks again,
Chuck
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The Express and Express + only support IR remotes, so you can't pair an advanced remote to them. Since IR cannot be assigned to a single device, there's no way to separate them. As mentioned, there is an app for iOS and Android that allows controlling the device over the network, so you can control them individually that way. But with a standard Roku remote, there's no way. If they are both in the same room, IR will most likely bounce off the wall and hit both of them, regardless of room placement. I find with my IR remotes I usually don't have to point them directly at the device because of the bounce. This of course is room dependent, so your situation might be different. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

I had a brief experience of having two Roku devices hooked up in the same room after I initially upgraded to a Roku 3 years back from my original Roku LT. I was thinking of putting the LT in my father's room before he passed, but I didn't think of unplugging the R3 when I plugged the LT back in after months of non-use to see if there was any software updates/Firmware updates, etc. Took me less than two minutes to figure out that even though the remote that came with the R3 wasn't compatible with the LT, the remote that came with the LT was a basic remote that was compatible with other Roku devices. The end result was I accidentally rented a TV show on the R3 without even knowing it because I kept the R3 plugged in while I was updating the LT.

It was an unintented, but funny rib I pulled on myself. Long story, short I ended up unplugging the LT and it hasn't been used since, but I still have it in the event I need a back up Roku in a pinch albeit unlikely. From that day on though I always unplug the device I am using if I want to switch from Roku to something else just in case the remotes respond.

Although it was a funny unintented joke I pulled on myself, I normally don't make mistakes like that because I am fairly tech savvy when it comes to streaming devices. I did get a good laugh out of it though.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

If you are willing to only use a phone/tablet app to control one of the Roku's, you can use some black electrical tape to cover the sensor on one so it will not see the IR commands.
0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
The Express and Express + only support IR remotes, so you can't pair an advanced remote to them. Since IR cannot be assigned to a single device, there's no way to separate them. As mentioned, there is an app for iOS and Android that allows controlling the device over the network, so you can control them individually that way. But with a standard Roku remote, there's no way. If they are both in the same room, IR will most likely bounce off the wall and hit both of them, regardless of room placement. I find with my IR remotes I usually don't have to point them directly at the device because of the bounce. This of course is room dependent, so your situation might be different. 

Thank you for the info.  I ended up solving the problem last night by separating them by about 5 feet and pointing the remote toward the desired one -- and angled away from the other one as much as possible -- and it works.  I should have thought of that before.  LOL
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Keep in mind, it's light -- just light that slightly below the visible spectrum -- that is used to send the codes to the Roku devices. Changes in the room -- people, pets, a clock on the wall, wind/AC blowing curtains, different shade clothing -- could change the dynamic of the room to cause a reflection of the light to hit the sensor of the other Roku. So you'll want to be certain to periodically check to see if both devices are being impacted.

Glad it's working for you. Just be aware that there are things that could reflect the light from the remotes that could impact that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

"Basil" wrote:
Keep in mind, it's light -- just light that slightly below the visible spectrum -- that is used to send the codes to the Roku devices. Changes in the room -- people, pets, a clock on the wall, wind/AC blowing curtains, different shade clothing -- could change the dynamic of the room to cause a reflection of the light to hit the sensor of the other Roku. So you'll want to be certain to periodically check to see if both devices are being impacted.

Glad it's working for you. Just be aware that there are things that could reflect the light from the remotes that could impact that.

Thank you.  Those are great points because I've "seen" the signals bounce around like that.  I'll keep checking to make sure all is well.
Thanks again,
Chuck
0 Kudos
DogRiverCrab
Level 1

I too have two Roku Express devices in the same room and have been unable to solve the problem that creates without getting up and walking across the room or covering up one device.

I was wondering if I swap out one of the Express devices for a Streaming Stick or an Ultra device, would that solve the problem?

0 Kudos