Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghaddad69
Level 7

Two Roku boxes for the one TV

Message: Hi. I have two roku boxes connected to the one tv. One is connected to HDMI 1 and the other is connected to HDMI 2. We need to have 2 roku boxes in our family and we only have 1 tv (for reasons I won't go in to) .

The problem is that the remote unit always controls both roku boxes! And causes interference on the hdmi connection. In other words, both roku boxes want to start working from the one remote.

QUESTION: Why can't each roku remote pair to specific roku box? So as to not interfere with the other nearby roku box?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Two Roku boxes for the one TV

Most likely, it's because one of the Roku boxes you have, and maybe both, came with the IR remote, not the WiFi Direct remote. You see, the only Roku devices that won't be controlled by an IR remote are the Sticks. All Roku boxes can be controlled with an IR remote. Even though the Ultra -- and in the past, the Premiere+, Roku 4, Roku 3, Roku 2 (model 2720), and others -- came with a WiFi Direct remote, they can still be controlled by an IR remote.

You did not say which devices you had, but if they're from the current line, I suspect you're using the Express or Express+ which come with the IR remote. If you stated the device you have, including the model number, that might help us confirm that's the situation.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

To add: If you higher-end Roku's with WiFi support, or one with and one without, you can cover the IR sensor on the one that supports the WiFi remote so it cannot see the IR codes.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"andyross" wrote:
To add: If you higher-end Roku's with WiFi support, or one with and one without, you can cover the IR sensor on the one that supports the WiFi remote so it cannot see the IR codes.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Or position one of the Rokus out of line of sight. Stick it behind the TV or somewhere else it doesn't see the IR signal. I use a TV as a computer monitor in the same room as my Sharp Roku TV, and it responds to the Roku remote. So I had to cover the IR receiver on that TV/monitor.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghaddad69
Level 7

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have mentioned I have. A roku 3 and roku 4. As I understand, both have RF remotes.

I plan to buy 2 IR remotes on ebay instead.. Which may work. Any thoughts? Can I pair each remote to each device with out interference.

Regards
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"ghaddad69" wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I should have mentioned I have. A roku 3 and roku 4. As I understand, both have RF remotes.

I plan to buy 2 IR remotes on ebay instead.. Which may work.  Any thoughts? Can I pair each remote to each device with out interference.

Regards

Oh, no. For what you're trying to do, RF is good and IR is bad. Don't buy an IR remote. Did we write something incorrect or did you read it incorrect? We need to all read that again. You *want* RF remotes, as those will pair to a device.

The Roku 3 and Roku 4 both come with a WiFi Direct. If one remote is controlling both devices, you've got a pairing situation you need to resolve.

First, unplug one of the boxes. Say, the Roku 3. Now, turn your TV to the Roku 4.

Roku 4

Pick up the "Roku 4 remote" (that is, the remote you think should control the Roku 4). Does it control the Roku 4? If so, mark it "4" somewhere on the device, not the battery cover, but the actual back of the device. A small piece of attached via tape, or a small bit of masking tape with a "4" written on it will do the trick.

Next, go to the Remotes section of the menu. Settings > Remote > Pair Remote

How many are showing as paired? One is good. Two is bad (for this situation only) and the cause of the problem.

Roku 3

Unplug the Roku 4, plug in the Roku 3. Set aside the Roku 4 remote, pick up the "Roku 3 remote" and label it as such.

Once the Roku 3 has rebooted, go to the Remotes section and see how many are paired. Again, one is good, two is bad (for this situation only).

Next steps

Your next steps depend on how many remotes each device has paired. What you'll be wanting to do is unpair one or both of the remotes, depending on the results of your tests.

If you decide to proceed with repairing, ensure that only one Roku is plugged in at a time when you pair/re-pair the respective remotes to the devices.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
ghaddad69
Level 7

Basil.
Great explanation. I will try when I get home and advise the forum. Hoping this works!
0 Kudos
ghaddad69
Level 7

Hi guys. I made a mistake. It just so happens that both remotes I have for the roku 3 and roku 4 are IR remotes... So in summary I don't have ability to pair. I confirmed this in the batter compartment... There is no small pairing button.

Anyway. Is there a way to ensure one ir remote connects to roku 3 and the other roku ir remote connects to the roku 4?

Appreciate the help.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"ghaddad69" wrote:
... Is there a way to ensure one ir remote connects to roku 3 and the other roku ir remote connects to the roku 4?...

Not if they are both in line of sight of both remotes. Since IR is an infrared light signal, and not focused (like a laser), if you have two on one TV, an IR remote will control both.

Since both those boxes were originally sold with RF (WiFi Direct) remotes, have you checked to make sure they're not in a box or in a drawer somewhere? They used to exist, and if you're original owner of the devices, unless someone broke them, threw them away, flushed them down the toilet, or otherwise did something with them, they're somewhere. You might want to check under the spatula, scissors, microwave instructions in the junk drawer.

The only way to have two devices on a single TV are one of the following:

1. Both devices have RF remotes. This'll run $60 new for the two.

2. One device has an RF remote and the IR sensor is covered with electrical tape, the other device has an IR remote. This'll run $30 new.

3. Replace one device with a Roku Streaming Stick or Ultra. This'll run $50-$90 new.

That means obtaining at least one WiFi Direct remote, or even a new Roku that comes with a WiFi Direct remote.

A WiFi Direct remote will run you $30 direct from Roku. You may be able to find one cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. If you go the third-party or second-hand route, do not buy a Roku 2 XS remote. That's a Bluetooth remote and won't work with anything other than the old Roku 2 XS device.

Not what you were wanting to hear, but that's the situation. Perhaps someone else has an idea?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"ghaddad69" wrote:
Hi guys. I made a mistake. It just so happens that both remotes I have for the roku 3 and roku 4 are IR remotes... So in summary I don't have ability to pair. I confirmed this in the batter compartment... There is no small pairing button.

Anyway. Is there a way to ensure one ir remote connects to roku 3 and the other roku ir remote connects to the roku 4?

Appreciate the help.

I think you're stuck. The IR codes have no ability to identify a specific Roku, so the IR from either remote will affect both Roku players. It's unlikely you can move the players far enough apart so they don't see the signal pointed at the other one. Since both of your players support Wi-Fi Direct, all I can suggest is acquiring one or two new remotes that are Wi-Fi Direct and pair them to each player. Roku sells them here, but there are lower cost models available on the web. Just make sure they support Wi-Fi Direct, and they aren't just IR remotes. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos