Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Turn off TV with Roku remote

I have a Roku in my living room which does not have a power button for the TV on it. I do however have CEC set up on this system which turns the TV on from the remote when I press most any button while it's off. They recently added a button to the home screen that turns the TV off but that is the only way I know how to use that particular CEC command. 

Today I rolled over in the couch onto the remote and pressed some buttons in the process. Usually when that happens I end up at the home screen or one of the apps that has a shortcut button. This time however, the TV cut off. 

I figure some button combination or something caused it. I found nothing about it on Google. I tried a few different combinations but so far have been unable to replicate it. Does anyone know the secret?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Turn off TV with Roku remote

This just happened to me - rolled over onto the Roku remote and the TV turned off. Googled it and came across this thread. Wish I knew how to harness this power!

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am having this same issue.  I tried to turn the TV off using the "TV off" button on the home screen, and got a pop up that said I had to change the CEC settings in the TV in order to use a different remote, however the Roku remote is paired with the TV and does control the volume, just does not turn the TV on or off.  I'm going to try pushing some different buttons to see what might work.  I know on one other TV that I have, I have to push one of the Gaming buttons to bypass the screensaver when the Roku box turns on, so that's something I have to look at. 

0 Kudos
Level 20

Stand alone roku's like the express+ & premiere+ come with roku remote that controls tv by IR, it would still control the tv if the roku was unplugged. The shortcut on the home screen control the tv by sending a signal over the hdmi cable to turn off the tv. Only way it works is if the tv has hdmi-cec, and it is refreshed to know the roku is plugged into it. This TV OFF feature only control the tv it is connected to, where a roku remote with tv controls will control any tv that responds to the same IR code set as the one it was prigrammed for, with roku connected or not. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

@JADavis , your issue is slightly different. You are having compatibility issues with your control functions. My control functions work fine, I just accidentally found another way to trigger them and would like to do it intentionally. It sounds to me like you actually have two issues.

It sounds like @Tivoburkee may be right that you are using a IR from the remote to communicate with the TV since you imply your remote has a power button (only IR remotes have power on them). IR control can have issues where some commands work but other do not. In the same way universal remotes have multiple codes for the same manufacturer, the Roku has multiple ways to talk to the TV and the first tried may not work for all functions. When you goto the option to program your remote for the TV it will ask you if the sound stopped, at that time test if the TV can be turned off, if not then unmute the TV using the TV's remote and tell the Roku the sound did not stop so it tries another code. 

The fact that the button on the home screen doesn't work is a separate issue with the CEC controls. They may just need to be enabled in your TV's settings. One issue you may have though is that some TV's do not support all CEC features. The TV in my bedroom is an old Vizio and while I can turn it on and control the audio via CEC fine, it won't cut off from the CEC.

Let it be noted that my Roku was the Ultra which does not have an IR remote. I've been able to replicate the off function by mashing the entire pad with my hand trying to press all buttons. Works maybe 25% of the attempts I made.

0 Kudos
Level 20

Your roku ultra remote is wifi for roku and roku tv's, but if you programmed it for non-roku tv it will control the tv by IR. If you unplug the power from your roku ultra the remote will switch to IR for the roku commands also. You can test this with cellphone camera. Great feature to teach universal remotes missing roku commands. The Ultra will accept both IR & Wifi roku remote signals. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

@Tivoburkee Maybe mine is an older version of the Roku Ultra but the remote definitely doesn't have IR on it. Googling the current Roku Ultra it is definitely updated as the picture on the box shows a power button on the remote which my remote does not have.

0 Kudos
Level 20

That's true, the 4640 Ultra didn't come with IR on board, it came out with 4660/4661 Ultra. You'rs did have volume keys originally for only the headphone jack, but after upgrade it would control certain brands of tv volume via hdmi-cec. I would have thought in 4 or 5 years 4640 owners would have upgraded their remotes. Smiley Happy So far this year I have bought 23 remotes directly from Roku. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

I've never even considered the concept of "upgrading" the remote. Frankly seems like a waste of money. I cannot fathom a feature a remote could have that would be worth spending spending any amount of money on. I figured the only reason anyone would ever by a remote individually would be because it was lost or broken.

0 Kudos