Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sparky2371
Level 7

Re: Those Pesky Lower Four Remote Buttons

Jump to solution

That's... dumb.  Now you have gaping holes in your remote.  This thread is more about reprogramming them to something useful.  Like I only have 6 channels on my roku.  Netflix/hulu/amazon/Disney+ would be great buttons to have.  For now.  I owuld like to be able to, say, connect the roku to my PC and access the hardware.  It probably has more to do with the remote telling the roku to launch the file VUDU.exe or something.  If I could delete vudu.exe and replace it with disney+ (renamed to vudu.exe) that would be useful.

Daijoubu
Level 8

Jump to solution

The traces are rather tiny, too cubbersome, what I'll do is just tape off the carbon contacts on the PCB and the process can be reversed also.

Daijoubu
Level 8

Re: How to order personalized remote

Jump to solution

This might be possible, the remote have a Winbond EEPROM, someone could try to read its data and compare the EPPROM dump of 2+ remotes with different buttons.

Dsmeltz
Level 7

Jump to solution

WAIT!  Grab your Dremel and just cut the lower half of the remote off! (OK, I know that is where the batteries are, but COME ON ROKU!!!)

Someone MUST inform ROKU that remote real-estate is valuable TO THE USER (I mean the value to those giving you kickbacks is NOT as important) 

Make them reprogrammable and SELL SELF-ADHESIVE LABLES.

I will NEVER use Disney or Sling.  Maybe hulu but not right now since, during the free trial, I found the interface to be annoying.   And, to be honest, if Netflix does not get rid of the annoying (and LOUD) audio that interferes with my searching for new content, I may leave them behind as well

Daijoubu
Level 8

Jump to solution

I put tape under the buttons and it's been working great, only left Netflix one.

Kthardee
Level 7

Jump to solution

I couldn't agree more. The fact that I'm actually taking the time to respond does seem contradictive, but I too am amazed by the amount of energy and time that has gone into removing/altering buttons on a remote control. It's not as though you may inadvertantly hit the code to deploy ICBMs by accidentally tapping "Netflix". I can now rest easy knowing this community has solved one of the world's greatest problems. 

Jens24
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Roku remote with four buttons and NO Channels on them. Can I reprogram them to one of the HDMI inputs?

Eddie_T
Level 9

Jump to solution

In spite of the few defenders I am glad to see that some still realize the stupidity of those pesky buttons. I often go to my Chromebook Rokomu App instead or for Android users there's a Roku App that also offers a keyboard for search which is a plus.

morganfj
Level 8

Jump to solution

Agree...  simply ROKU marketing to channels at the EXPENSE of its USERS...

The only reason they are pre-programmed is that ROKU got paid to put them their.

Honestly ROKY DOES NOR CARE.

V45
Level 7

Jump to solution

" And, to be honest, if Netflix does not get rid of the annoying (and LOUD) audio that interferes with my searching for new content, I may leave them behind as well"

On their website, Netflix has an option that disables autoplay of previews.   You won't find it through the ROKU interface.  I felt the same way.  My wife wants it, so she has hers enabled.