Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Those Pesky Lower Four Remote Buttons

Jump to solution
"twiceover" wrote:
"Eddie_T" wrote:
Why can't something be done to disable or reprogram these buttons? 

Advertisers subsidize the cost of the Roku for that privilege.  They certainly aren't going to allow them to be reprogrammed to someone else's app.
I too rarely hit those buttons.  Maybe once a year.

The funny part with this is when one of those companies goes out of business, Roku programmed it to something else.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution
Yea, I don't allow advertising to infiltrate my media and those steps are way more complicated than ripping a few buttons out of a remote and chucking them in a trash can... re-program that!

It's also interesting to note that my Roku Remotes NEVER started becoming possessed by Satan, locking up the remote AND the Roku so bad it has to crash and reboot itself UNTIL some genius at Roku started selling advertising on their flippin' remote! Now it's almost a daily occurrence!
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
These annoyed me also as well as the voice command button. 

There is a simple fix for this.  Take a small flat bladed screwdriver (something not sharp) and pry up on the buttons to remove all that offend.  In the hole, you will see the membrane switch, that is the actual button.  It sticks up a little, like a blister.  Turn over a rubber button and you will see a smaller, round little protrusion.  That is what is really pressing on this membrane switch.  Now you have a choice:

If you want to reduce the chance of pressing it accidentally, get a cutting board and a sharp knife from the kitchen and cut off the protrusion, even with the rest of the rubber button.  Using a sharp kitchen knife was the ticket to a nice clean, straight cut.

If you want it to not work again, take a pointy Exacto hobby knife like I did, and make plunging cuts all around the protrusion in about the same diameter as the actual membrane switch.  Very much like you do when cutting out the first slice of pie from a pan.  Go all the way around at an angle because you are going to extract a little plug in the shape of a classic engagement ring diamond, pointy on the bottom where your knife points are meeting.  You will then return and pretty easily cut it completely out.  When done reinstall the rubber button.  It will sit lower and stay in place but will look the same otherwise.  If you try and press it and nothing happens, you did it right.

For me, it is very satisfying to know they are dead.  If you ever wanted to, you could probably glue a small replacement nub back on there with silicone or just replace the rubber buttons.  Where you would get them or why you would ever want them again is beyond me.  Good riddance to virtually the only major idiocy with my Roku's.

Your welcome.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution
"TBU" wrote:
These annoyed me also as well as the voice command button. 

There is a simple fix for this.  Take a small flat bladed screwdriver (something not sharp) and pry up on the buttons to remove all that offend.  In the hole, you will see the membrane switch, that is the actual button.  It sticks up a little, like a blister.  Turn over a rubber button and you will see a smaller, round little protrusion.  That is what is really pressing on this membrane switch.  Now you have a choice:

If you want to reduce the chance of pressing it accidentally, get a cutting board and a sharp knife from the kitchen and cut off the protrusion, even with the rest of the rubber button.  Using a sharp kitchen knife was the ticket to a nice clean, straight cut.

If you want it to not work again, take a pointy Exacto hobby knife like I did, and make plunging cuts all around the protrusion in about the same diameter as the actual membrane switch.  Very much like you do when cutting out the first slice of pie from a pan.  Go all the way around at an angle because you are going to extract a little plug in the shape of a classic engagement ring diamond, pointy on the bottom where your knife points are meeting.  You will then return and pretty easily cut it completely out.  When done reinstall the rubber button.  It will sit lower and stay in place but will look the same otherwise.  If you try and press it and nothing happens, you did it right.

For me, it is very satisfying to know they are dead.  If you ever wanted to, you could probably glue a small replacement nub back on there with silicone or just replace the rubber buttons.  Where you would get them or why you would ever want them again is beyond me.  Good riddance to virtually the only major idiocy with my Roku's.

Your welcome.

I mean, if you're going to go through all that work, you could just pop it open, cut the traces, put it back together and at least it wouldn't look like a wonky POS.
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution
Go ahead and try that with yours and let us know if it still works after you experiment with unknown (Chinese) circuitry (like walking a tightrope, drunk, over the Grand Canyon, with no net).

Personally we LOVE the way our remotes look post-op. The scars of life tell a story. Read it. Live it.

lol
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
"twiceover" wrote:

I mean, if you're going to go through all that work, you could just pop it open, cut the traces, put it back together and at least it wouldn't look like a wonky POS.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear that the remote looks exactly the same, just the four buttons at the bottom sit about 2-3mm lower.  And as far as work, this took maybe 10-15 minutes.  Also, you don't have to disable them altogether.  Their sensitivity can just be reduced.
It is perplexing to me, the number of people that come to the defense of these buttons.  To me they were an insidious abomination.  I was instantly relieved to be rid of them.
Level 13

Jump to solution
"TBU" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear that the remote looks exactly the same, just the four buttons at the bottom sit about 2-3mm lower.  And as far as work, this took maybe 10-15 minutes.  Also, you don't have to disable them altogether.  Their sensitivity can just be reduced.
It is perplexing to me, the number of people that come to the defense of these buttons.  To me they were an insidious abomination.  I was instantly relieved to be rid of them.

It is perplexing to me the number of people that are bothered by this.  We've had multiple Rokus in our house for nearly a decade now, I can count on one hand how many times I've accidentally hit those buttons.  To each their own.  Enjoy.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution
"TBU" wrote:

While I'm not defending the buttons, they do serve a purpose. Besides offering one button access to the designated channels (which some people appreciate), they also serve as an additional revenue stream for Roku, which allows them to keep the price of the player a little bit lower. If the buttons could be reprogrammed, they either couldn't charge for placement, or would have to accept a much lower price, both of which would increase the cost of the Roku. How much? I have no idea. Would it be worth paying a little more for either no buttons or the ability to program them? I would say it depends on how much more. Personally, I never use any of the buttons on my remotes, as I don't subscribe to any of them. My Vizio TV setting next to me has 6 pre-programmed buttons, and I only subscribe to one. I can't program them either. So it's not just Roku that does it. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"TBU" wrote:

...Besides offering one button access to the designated channels (which some people appreciate), they also serve as an additional revenue stream for Roku, which allows them to keep the price of the player a little bit lower.

I've heard that bedtime story before... didn't believe it then and don't now.

No, Virginia, those buttons don't reduce the cost of our Rokus by even a fraction of a cent, but they do acquire additional revenue for Roku - and when we surgically remove them, that doesn't change, but the mere thought of an advertiser reading one of these threads (that won't make any difference) makes my life worth living (because I'm easily entertained).

Yes, before removal accidentally hitting one of those buttons, in the dark, stopping everything, was a regular occurrence. From their new home in the landfill, I haven't hit one of them even once, so that is a User Modification with a positive result. As long as they keep selling them, I'll keep ripping them out.

If, at some point, a Roku Guy shows up with every new Roku Purchase to screw the Un-modifiable remote down on the end table - like at the Motel 6 - I'll stop buying them. I doubt it will come to that.
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution
So once every few months I accidentally hit one of those "dang" buttons.. It doesn't infuriate me like it infuriates some (to the point of hacking up their remotes, depreciating the value of them if they ever decide to sell them). Yeah, it's annoying, but you learn to be more careful each time you do it.

Don't keep the remote one or near your lap when you're watching TV, for one thing. Set it on the darn coffee table for crying out loud.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos