Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherryo717
Binge Watcher

Re: TV wont turn on and off with remote

Jump to solution

How can you reprogram it if it doesnt turn on?!!! 

0 Kudos
Sherryo717
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And what is cec? What does that even mean?!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

CEC is a communication protocol that is used by electronic devices  to provide control across different devices through an HDMI cable. When it works properly, it can control things like power, volume and input selection on TVs and AVRs. But all devices must support CEC, and it must be enabled on all devices. On Roku players, it's called One-touch play. Different TV manufacturers label it with their own names, so it's sometimes difficult to find the settings. Samsung calls it Anynet, Vizio just calls it CEC, and other brands have their own name.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Sherryo717 wrote:

How can you reprogram it if it doesnt turn on?!!! 

The remote itself doesn't turn off and on. The Roku Stick itself doesn't turn off and on. The remote has buttons that can turn the TV off and on if it's properly configured -- and if the remote works, of course.

There are a couple of things that people often confuse, and I want to make sure we don't have that going on.

A Stick and Remote can be paired with each other. A Remote can be configured to control power and volume of a TV. Those are totally separate things. I'll mention briefly that some TVs can have their power and volume controled by the Roku via CEC (explained elsewhere), but you can also configure the Remote to work with many different TVs.

If, when your TV is on, and on the HDMI input of the Roku device, you should be able to use the Roku Remote to navigate the menu and launch apps. If you can do that, the Remote is paired to the Roku, and you don't need to do that again.

What you'll need to do is configure the Remote to control the TV. Roku has instructions on doing that: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828

Read through that and give it a shot.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I wonder if this is a scam design obsolescence so you buy more your equipment from Roku?

0 Kudos
carolyn60

Jump to solution

Tv remote want turn on or off with the remote 

0 Kudos
carolyn60

Jump to solution

Remote stop working 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@carolyn60 

That's very helpful info, how about type of Roku, model number of Roku, remote model?

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
carolyn60

Jump to solution

My tv is aTCL Roku 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

We need more information.  What Roku device do you have?  Does the Roku remote work to control Roku functions?  Did the Roku remote previously work to control this TV?   Did you go into settings and try to set up the remote to control the TV again?

0 Kudos