Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katwalls
Reel Rookie

TV wont turn on and off with remote

Jump to solution

All aspects of the remote work fine but it will not turn the tv on and off. I have tried taking out the batteries and disconnecting the power...etc - When I put the batteries back in and put the power back to the Roku it pairs back up with the remote the same way it was. Please help. We have 2 systems doing the same thing and its annoying

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV wont turn on and off with remote

Jump to solution

This a roku Tv? Or a roku whose remote is controlling non-roku tv? If it the latter reprogram it for your tv but skip the first one that mute the sound and so if later one works as you wish. 

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

This a roku Tv? Or a roku whose remote is controlling non-roku tv? If it the latter reprogram it for your tv but skip the first one that mute the sound and so if later one works as you wish. 

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Edmund

0 Kudos
Corvette25

Jump to solution

Remote will not turn TV on 

I replaced the battery

it a Samsun TV

Corvette25

Jump to solution

Tv won’t turn on with the Roku remote 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

But what model Roku player do you have? Only some have a remote with a power button, as it appears yours does. But for that power button to work, you have to program the remote to control the Samsung. See the response provided above by @Tivoburkee and set it up. It doesn't do it automatically. If the Roku remote is controlling the TV volume, it's doing it via CEC, not that the remote has been properly programmed. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mike441
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku remote has worked on turning on my Samsung smart TVs for 3 years. Two days ago it can no longer turn the tv on, all other functions work including turning the tv off. I’ve done the online recommendations: power, batteries and rest button. 

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes do not have reset button, the button in the battery compartment is pairing button to get the remote controlling the roku, it resets NOTHING. 

You need to reprogram the remote for your tv, that does not need the use of the pairing button, just go into settings:

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund

DBDukes

Jump to solution

Doing a reset on a Roku device has nothing to do with the remote powering the TV.

Doing a paring button setup on a remote has nothing to do directly with the remote powering the TV.

What I'm about to share is important, and I think a missing bit if knowledge for you.

Roku remotes pair with the Roku device, not to a third party TV. The Roku device does not control the TV.

Roku remotes can be configured to work with different model TVs, but are not "paired" in the sense they are with Roku devices. The Roku remotes control the TV directly, power and volume, without any interaction from the Roku.

When you configure a remote, using the instructions @Tivoburkee supplied, you can pick the manufacturer of the TV and it will attempt to load the proper codes to the remote. Sometimes, the first one that Roku tries isn't right. When that happens, you have to use the original TV remote and turn the volume back on, then answer "no" to the screen and go to the next setting.

Do that and let us know what happens. Also, let us know how many different configurations you tried. Trying the same configuration three times doesn't count as three, but one. How many different configurations are you trying?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Sherryo717
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem

0 Kudos
Sherryo717
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

A roku tv? No.. my tv is about 15 years old,  amy roku stick and remote was working fine until now! My tv wont turn on with the roku remote, we tried everything.. new batteries, software updstes on the tv,  unplugging and restarting, etc. and still nothing.. its wierd bcuz we were watching tv and picked up remote to change a channel and suddenly tv goes off, wth?  Its been a few days now and still nothing, just a useless dead remote