Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

TV volume and power buttons on Roku

I set up my roku ultra to be able to control the tv power and volume.  It works,  But , the volume and power on my cable remote quit working.  I had to  reprogram it.  Had to try several codes to find one that worked.  The power and volume is all that was affected,  channel button etc , still worked.  They all worked before  I set up the ultra.  The tv remote continued to work fine.  After reprogramming the cable remote, all is working again, so no problem at this time.  Just wondering if it what happened is  normal.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: TV volume and power buttons on Roku

It is not. And it’s probably unrelated.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
It is not. And it’s probably unrelated.

Ok, Thanks.  The timing was just weird, but strange thing happen. sometime.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

I thought all was ok.  The volume and power were working again on my cable remote.  Used the power and volume on the roku remote last night.   Tried to use the cable remote this morning and the power and volume buttons were again not working.  Turned the TV of with the tv remote waited a few mintues and the buttons on the  Cable remote are agin working.  This did not happen till I started using the power and volume on the roku remote.
Guess I can live with it, but is irritating and very strange.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Try this troubleshooting step.

Use your cable remote and adjust the volume on the TV. Confirm it’s working correctly.

Next, use your Roku remote to adjust the TV volume. Confirm it’s workng.

Next, return to your cable remote and see if it’s still working.

Don't wait overnight. Do one right after the other. Does the issue occur or is everything working?

If it is still working, something else is in play to cause the cable remote to not work the next day.

If it’s not working, then the Roku remote is the cause.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

I tried the above and it seemed to work, but had some other weird things happen.   Problems only happen with the cable remote and not with the tv remote.  I can not seem to get consistent results.  I am going to try to watch it awhile and try to remember the exact sequence of events.
In the meaintime, today,  I think I created another problem I will  make a separate post about that, having to do with linkiing a roku devicde.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Try new batteries in the cable remote, by the way what's the model # of the cable remote?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
lfayb
Level 8

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
Try new batteries in the cable remote, by the way what's the model # of the cable remote?

Actually, i did put in new batteries earlier today,  Have no idea why it would cause the behavior i was seeing, but thought I would try.  Not sure  yet if that fixed it.  The remote is from cableone and it is 2020bo-b1.     urcsupport.com  
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

It is workng this morning, hope it continues too,  Very strange.
0 Kudos