Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CassieBessie
Reel Rookie

TV randomly turns ON without touching remote

New Roku 4K Ultra installed on Sony (14yo) 

TV will randomly turn itself on. 

I will walk in room and find TV on OR I’m sitting in room reading a book and TV just came on.

Had a Roku stick for ~5 years (which I’ve moved to a bedroom) and never had this issue before. 

was thinking of trying a remote reset (pull batteries and reboot (unplug power) Ultra.

any other suggestions??

Thanks 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
CTMike
Reel Rookie

Re: TV randomly turns ON without touching remote

I have the same issue with the Ultra.  My first Ultra worked fine for 8+ months, then it started turning ON the TV, all hours of the day.  Bought a new Ultra in December and right out of the box started having the same issue.  After seeing posts about this issue, I contacted Roku customer support (5274548) and Venkat said they have no record of this problem previously being reported.

CassieBessie
Reel Rookie

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing the same issue with your original Ultra and the new one too.  

Especially SAD and disappointing that Roku is not acknowledging it nor offering any assistance to address….

It continues to occur for my Ultra, to this date. It’s pretty regular now, cycling my TV ON about once ever hour or two (max) of the day. I suspect the Ultra box is sending some time of configured “check” which initiated the power ‘ON’ cycle. It then times out (after going into a screensaver-like ‘fish bowl Roku’ into sleep mode) and initiates the power ‘OFF’ to TV.

Based on your additional evidence, of a sudden change to the originally working Ultra, it sounds like it might have to do with a firmware upgrade made at some point. Changed a default setting???  One would expect there ought to be a configuration point in our settings for it…..  but if it’s on the chip, in firmware, perhaps not.

Will encourage other Ultra users to pile on this stream to highlight similar issue, if so! 😆

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried disabling 1-touch on your remote to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing? In addition, if you remove the batteries from the remote, does the issue still occur?

For more information about how to turn off 1-touch, visit our Support page here: TV switches to a different device

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

After several years of trouble-free use, our Roku Premiere Model 4630x (5th generation) is now turning on our Samsung TV  randomly.  I see that MANY other Roku users are having this problem but do I do NOT find a definitive solution to this problem.  Can you help please?

0 Kudos
CTMike
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately no resolution for the Ultra 4800X, turning ON our Sony KDL-46XBR9, all hours of the day.  When we remember, we routinely disconnect power after watching TV.  Big inconvenience when woken up in the middle of night when the TV turns ON.  We have even tried removing the batteries from the remotes.  Haven't seen this occur on our other TVs using a different ROKU model.  Not sure why we had 8 months of trouble free operation.  Maybe ROKU rolled out a firmware upgrade?  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@CTMike, just wondering, when the TV comes on is the screensaver active or is it displaying the Home Screen?  Have you tried disabling the screensaver?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos