Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

TV power and Volume suddenly not working

Today I attempted to turn on my TV/Roku, and got nothing.  Thought the remote batteries had died so replaced them but still nothing.  Used TV remote to turn on TV.  Finally did a reboot/repair of remote and it started working the Roku itself.    Tried to turn up the volume of TV and it would not. Tried to turn off TV and it would not. 

The TV power and volume had been working flawlessly until today.  Looked in setting and it said it had updated early AM today.   Went through settings and attempted to redo the TV remote setup.  Roku says my TV is not supported for the power/volume controls.   How is this possible?????   It was just working the night before. 

Roku Express+ 

Sony TV UN60EH6003 (no sound bar or A/V)

This seems to be due to the update from early AM.   How can this be fixed???

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: TV power and Volume suddenly not working

Try the following:

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Did that already, that’s how I know it says TV not supported.   How could it be supported 10 hours earlier and now suddenly not???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

What is the model number of your remote? Your remote might not have IR on board, instead it was controlling your tv by hdmi-cec? That's why I want to know the number of of the remote.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It was not running it by HDMI-Cec I can assure you of that.   It is an RC406

As stated before.   Upon initial setup when purchased I was able to set up the remote in the initial setup.   Sound playing....Yes.    Sound Off....Yes.   Programmed perfect.   Ran perfect for months.   Suddenly with the latest update it all stopped working.   Will not function TV even when going through all 50 tries of the remote setup. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Rc406 doesn't help, I was talking about the model number listed in the battery compartment, rc-al?

With clear line of sight to the roku and front of the tv from the remote, and with new batteries, re-pair the remote to the roku, and then redo the tv, try telling it you soyo or westinghouse, brand of tv, brands known to use the sony code set. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@Jhankinson  Thanks for the note and details here. Were you able to use the alternate option to 'Enter TV brand' after trying the available codes? See steps for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-...

If that still isn't doing the trick, try re-pairing your remote to your Roku device once more from Settings>Remotes and devices, then going through the 'Setup remote for TV control' flow once more. 

Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 8

Well after much testing and trying different models, I pulled out an old IR test rig.   Turns out the IR portion of the remote has completely stopped working.   No signal on power button, volumes, or mute.   What could make this happen.   Tested my neighbors remote and it worked fine.   So for some reason overnight the IR has stopped working all together. 

so I guess problem solved, but still very concerning.  Have not had this but a handful of months and it already failed???    Seems less than quality to me. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Had the exact same issue. Last night, everything was working fine then suddenly power button and volume won't work. Left it overnight as I thought it was just a battery or network issue. Tried again this morning and was still not working. I've tried re-pairing the remote and even factory resetted it and still does not work. I can still navigate through the apps though, just the volume and power button. Pretty inconvenient now as I mainly use the Roku remote to turn off the tv since I lost the TV remote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Point the remote at your cellphone camera, when pressing Roku commands do you see flashes? That means the remote is controlling the Roku by IR, it has to be paired to a roku to program it for a tv controls. 

Edmund
0 Kudos