Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

TV Screen going blank when I hit pause button

I just bought the latest ROKU Ultra last week and I am having few issues

1) When I hit pause button on roku remote the TV screen goes blank but the video continues to play in the background. The blank screen wont go away even if I hit pause button again. I have to rewind few seconds to get the video back again

2) When I press the power On Button it does not turn on the TV although it has been paired to control TV power on/off and external audio system. The external audio system turns on though. If I try to press home screen then TV powers on.

3) When I power off the TV turns off but the external sound system connected to TV does not turn off

71 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TV Screen going blank when I hit pause button

@SARFRAJK 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issues you are seeing? How is the Roku Ultra plugged in? Is it connected to the TV or to the external audio system? Please be aware that the Roku remotes do not control external audio systems.

If you are plugging the device into the external audio system, have you tried plugging it directly to the TV to see if you are still experiencing the same issues?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 9

Roku is connected to TV and External audio is plugged in into TV as well.

TV is showing black screen when I hit pause using SLING app on roku. it does not pause the stream but just makes the screen go black. then if I rewind or forward the stream i get back the display 

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@SARFRAJK 

Thanks for the information.

Is this issue you are seeing only happening on the Sling channel or is it happening across all channels? If this issue is only happening on Sling, you may need to reach out to the channel provider to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Sling support here: https://help.sling.com/

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 9

Somehow I am getting a feeling that you dont really want to address the issues and are trying to divert it to sling. My earlier version of Roku ultra worked just fine.

Also you did not address the switch on/off issue. If you dont really want to address the issues I could still return the device as its still in return eligible period.

Level 7

I am having the same problem. The ROKU is plugged directly into a Samsung 4K TV. I use the ROKU mainly for PLEX. This problem occurs frequently. I have done a reset, but the problem persists.

Level 8

I am also having the same issue. Several channels are doing this. My current problem is with Peacock.  The audio continues but the picture goes blank. The also happens with the ff button and both rewind buttons. 
mine is plugged directly into a LG tv. 

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

I am having this same exact issue with pausing.  We've had many Roku in the past and never had this issue until we got this new Roku Ultra.  

Level 9

I tried what you suggested but still have an issue

Below are the requested details
-Roku device model : 4800X - Roku Ultra
-serial number : X010000LJXV7
-device ID : S02A208LJXV7
-software OS/version : 9.4.1 . build 4212-C2
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel  : Sling TV Version 7.3 build 335
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times) - I tried it but did not get anything