Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevecasper
Level 7

TCL 55S517 Included Remote Upgrade Question

I have a Roku 3 that came with a wifi-direct or RF function. It's a solid remote. Feels good in my hand. Has a strap. 3.5mm jack. And is possibly the best remote I've ever owned.

The remote that came with the TCL TV is less than spectacular. It feels light and cheap. It's IR only (and relatively particular about the angle it's pointed, so I've been using the app on my phone). The d-pad is overly-sensitive to hard presses, but insensitive to light presses. This may be a mechanical defect of my particular remote, but the overall quality of the device is questionable.

What I'm looking for is a remote that will work with my TV and is on par with the remote I've been using with my Roku 3 for many years.

Looking on the Roku accessories/remotes page ( https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes ) the only remote listed that's compatible with "all Roku TVs" is the:

Roku TV™ Voice remote
Use your voice to search for movies, shows, or actors across more than 1,000 channels. Plus, you can power up and change the volume on most TVs, so no more juggling remotes.

This description is not helpful to me. Does anybody know where I can find more particular specs for this remote? What the model number of it is? Does it feel solid? Is it just the same remote that came with my TV? (this one I doubt, because the button layout is different [based on the screenshot]--my remote has the channel shortcut buttons in a single column.)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: TCL 55S517 Included Remote Upgrade Question

"stevecasper" wrote:
I have a Roku 3 that came with a wifi-direct or RF function. It's a solid remote. Feels good in my hand. Has a strap. 3.5mm jack. And is possibly the best remote I've ever owned.

The remote that came with the TCL TV is less than spectacular. It feels light and cheap. It's IR only (and relatively particular about the angle it's pointed, so I've been using the app on my phone). The d-pad is overly-sensitive to hard presses, but insensitive to light presses. This may be a mechanical defect of my particular remote, but the overall quality of the device is questionable.

What I'm looking for is a remote that will work with my TV and is on par with the remote I've been using with my Roku 3 for many years.

Looking on the Roku accessories/remotes page ( https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes ) the only remote listed that's compatible with "all Roku TVs" is the:

Roku TV™ Voice remote
Use your voice to search for movies, shows, or actors across more than 1,000 channels. Plus, you can power up and change the volume on most TVs, so no more juggling remotes.

This description is not helpful to me. Does anybody know where I can find more particular specs for this remote? What the model number of it is? Does it feel solid? Is it just the same remote that came with my TV? (this one I doubt, because the button layout is different [based on the screenshot]--my remote has the channel shortcut buttons in a single column.)

Caveat: I do not have a Roku TV. But I do have experience with Roku 2 (4210), Roku 3, Gaming remote, and Enhanced Voice remote.

The remote you were looking at appears to be the IR version of the Enhanced Voice remote. It appears to have a matte look, like the Enhanced Voice remote has. The Roku 3 remote has a gloss look.

The Enhanced Voice remote is similar in size & shape to the Roku 3 remote, sans strap. The actual feel is a little different, but good in that it is easier to hold on to; the slick gloss of the Roku 3 remote means it’s easier to slip from your hands, while the matte of the Enhanced Voice remote means easier to maintain a hold.

If the TV Voice remote is an IR version, it should be fine.

Perhaps someone with actual experience with that remote can chime in.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Steve, 

Thanks for the note here. The accessory remote we offer for Roku TV's is similar in size/shape to the Roku Voice Remote, which is sold with our current Roku Streaming Stick/Roku Streaming Stick+. - https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Hope that helps clear up your questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
stevecasper
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
Caveat: I do not have a Roku TV. But I do have experience with Roku 2 (4210), Roku 3, Gaming remote, and Enhanced Voice remote.

The remote you were looking at appears to be the IR version of the Enhanced Voice remote. It appears to have a matte look, like the Enhanced Voice remote has. The Roku 3 remote has a gloss look.

The Enhanced Voice remote is similar in size & shape to the Roku 3 remote, sans strap. The actual feel is a little different, but good in that it is easier to hold on to; the slick gloss of the Roku 3 remote means it’s easier to slip from your hands, while the matte of the Enhanced Voice remote means easier to maintain a hold.

If the TV Voice remote is an IR version, it should be fine.

Perhaps someone with actual experience with that remote can chime in.

Thank you for the time you took to post a reply. This is my first Roku enabled TV. I was in the market for a new smart TV (Smart Hub on my old Samsung TV has never worked well, and is overly clunky) and when I discovered Roku was not just pucks and sticks, I jumped at the chance. 
0 Kudos
stevecasper
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Hey Steve, 

Thanks for the note here. The accessory remote we offer for Roku TV's is similar in size/shape to the Roku Voice Remote, which is sold with our current Roku Streaming Stick/Roku Streaming Stick+. - https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Hope that helps clear up your questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner

Hey Tanner, 

1st - Kudos to Roku for having staff that not only monitor the forum, but who post relevant and timely responses! 

2nd - If I understand correctly, the remote that came with the TV was not necessarily manufactured by Roku, but as a licensed Roku affiliate/collaborator, the manufacturer may have built the remote and the "cheapness" of it was to keep the cost-to-consumer low. This I find completely understandable, if a bit disappointing.

However, it reassures me that Roku itself is not cutting corners on the hardware they provide.

I do like the Private Listening function. My wife frequently works late (school teacher grading papers) and she likes to have the TV on for background noise while working. The private listening offered on the Roku 3 lets me sleep in peace while she slaves on  :evil: I've used the Private Listening through the android app with the new TV, myself, and that's a fine alternative (though it doesn't work with a gaming system...but that's a topic for a different thread).

3rd - I will follow up with TCL support for other options as far as remotes they may be able to provide, but from what I'm understanding from your reply, the Roku TV Voice Remote is probably the one I will end up getting.

Thank you, once again!
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

If your tv menu screen has a pairing option under Remotes, try to pair your Roku 3 remote to it, you won't have volume, but if it works, you can buy enhanced wifi direct remote with tv volume control from roku.
0 Kudos
stevecasper
Level 7

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
If your tv menu screen has a pairing option under Remotes, try to pair your Roku 3 remote to it, you won't have volume, but if it works, you can buy enhanced wifi direct remote with tv volume control from roku.

Nice thought! I'll give it a try!
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 8

You may have to do some investigation on your TCL 55S517.  I have a TCL 55P605 which did not ship with an enhanced remote; therefore the enhanced functions for pairing were hidden.  I paired the enhanced voice remote from a Roku 3 with my TCL 55P605.  You have to enable full UI support for the enhanced remote in order to pair it by one of the following methods (from AVSForum.com posts):
 1) SYSTEM RESTART of the TCL 55P605 TV from SETTINGS -- SYSTEM - POWER - SYSTEM RESTART menu and then using the pairing button on the enhanced Roku remote.
 2) Access one of the Roku secret menus with the existing TCL infrared remote:
      Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
          -> "RF Remote Menu"
          -> "Enable full UI support for remote"

I used method 2) and then paired my Roku 3 remote with the 55P605.  Perhaps that may work on your TCL 55S517.

The Roku 3 remote will not be able to power your TV on/off since it has no power button.

And if you think there may be a problem with your original TCL remote, infrared model RC280 with the same functions as your original are available on eBay for less than $10. 
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

My niece has Insignia Roku TV, so I had TCL Roku wifi remote. Went into the menu of the TV and paired the two, everything worked even the volume. When it was in IR mode this remote didn't control the Insignia at all.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"gadrago" wrote:
You may have to do some investigation on your TCL 55S517.  I have a TCL 55P605 which did not ship with an enhanced remote; therefore the enhanced functions for pairing were hidden.  I paired the enhanced voice remote from a Roku 3 with my TCL 55P605.  You have to enable full UI support for the enhanced remote in order to pair it by one of the following methods (from AVSForum.com posts):
 1) SYSTEM RESTART of the TCL 55P605 TV from SETTINGS -- SYSTEM - POWER - SYSTEM RESTART menu and then using the pairing button on the enhanced Roku remote.
 2) Access one of the Roku secret menus with the existing TCL infrared remote:
      Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
          -> "RF Remote Menu"
          -> "Enable full UI support for remote"

I used method 2) and then paired my Roku 3 remote with the 55P605.  Perhaps that may work on your TCL 55S517.

The Roku 3 remote will not be able to power your TV on/off since it has no power button.

And if you think there may be a problem with your original TCL remote, infrared model RC280 with the same functions as your original are available on eBay for less than $10. 

NOTE: I think the one thing missing from the RC280 remote as a replacement TCL TV remote is the MUTE button. Perhaps that has changed, but I remember a few users getting the RC280 and reporting that a MUTE button was not included.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos