Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksmeadors
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick without native remote while traveling

Jump to solution

Hello!  

I have a Roku account and several devices.  My remote for my streaming stick stopped working.  I downloaded the Roku remote/app on my smartphone before leaving home.  

Now I'm on the road, and cannot get the stick to respond to the remote on my phone.  I thought it would connect to the phone via...??...Bluetooth, and then I'd add the Stick to the wifi network at my vrbo.  

The stick is not responding....help?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick without native remote while traveling

Jump to solution

With the Roku Stick, you must have the factory remote to connect to a network. They don't support IR, so no generic remote will work. And at a hotel the phone app won't work either, because hotel networks have a security setting that blocks all connected devices from seeing each other. The app does not use BT. It uses the same network connection that the Roku does, so they must both be on the same private network that does not have any security blocks in place.

Considering what a new remote would cost, you might instead consider simply buying a new Roku. You didn't state what model Stick you have, but if it's the older purple stick (3500) you can't even get a replacement remote, so it's unusable without one. But if it's a newer Stick, you could probably get a replacement at a Best Buy store, or many other stores that sell Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@ksmeadors 

You can pair it where you are. It's not connected to a network when you pair at home. It won't require you to be on your, or any network, network when you pair it. And neither device nor remote knows nor cares where you live, or if you are at home.

Unless the device or remote is defective, it'll pair.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092

Jump to solution

With the Roku Stick, you must have the factory remote to connect to a network. They don't support IR, so no generic remote will work. And at a hotel the phone app won't work either, because hotel networks have a security setting that blocks all connected devices from seeing each other. The app does not use BT. It uses the same network connection that the Roku does, so they must both be on the same private network that does not have any security blocks in place.

Considering what a new remote would cost, you might instead consider simply buying a new Roku. You didn't state what model Stick you have, but if it's the older purple stick (3500) you can't even get a replacement remote, so it's unusable without one. But if it's a newer Stick, you could probably get a replacement at a Best Buy store, or many other stores that sell Roku devices. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@ksmeadors 

You need a remote to connect a Roku device to a network. A mobile app will not work until the device is connected to the network. So, yeah, you gottal have a remote.

If it's a model 3600 or later, the Voice Remote -- available from Roku, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc -- will work.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ksmeadors
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!  

I don't think that solves my issue during this trip though.  I think I will have to pair the new remote while the stick is on my home network.  

It was/is the Roku Stick +, purchased in 2019 @ BBY.  I'll find the replacement remote and work from there!  Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@ksmeadors 

You can pair it where you are. It's not connected to a network when you pair at home. It won't require you to be on your, or any network, network when you pair it. And neither device nor remote knows nor cares where you live, or if you are at home.

Unless the device or remote is defective, it'll pair.

DBDukes

0 Kudos