Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielK
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ remote intermittently unresponsive

I'm experiencing a problem with the remote on my Streaming Stick+. I currently have an RMA, but before sending it back I wanted to check with the community. The problem is that when navigating the Roku interface, every 30 seconds or so the interface will stop responding to button presses. No matter how many times I press the buttons, nothing happens to the interface. Between 5 and 15 seconds after the freeze, the interface unlocks and I can resume navigation. The interesting thing is that the problem is not with the remote hardware. I paired an older Roku remote (known to work fine) with my Streaming Stick+ and the same problem occurs. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Streaming Stick+ remote intermittently unresponsive

There's likely interference coming from the TV.  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69020

You can get a free one (I still think we're offering this, though I'll have to double-check), or just pick one up at a local electronic store.  That might resolve the issue.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
DanielK
Level 7

I'm already using the HDMI extension cable, which I need for my Vizio TV. I tried another experiment this evening. I paired my 2017 remote with my 2016 Stick. Lo and behold I got the freezing issue with the 2017 remote/2016 Stick combination. I'm not sure whether a replacement 2017 remote will solve the problem, as I also had the problem with the 2016 remote/Stick+ combination. The issue seems less severe with the 2016 remote though.

In your opinion, am I better off trying a replacement 2017 remote or returning the whole Stick+? I'd also be willing to try any hidden options to change frequencies on the remote, if available.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Considering the extender, I would probably go ahead with the replacement remote since you already have an RMA on it.  If it works, we know the remote was the issue.  If it doesn't work, we know there is something else going on and can troubleshoot further.

Others in the community may have some more ideas, so be on the lookout.

Some other things to think about:  Maybe there are other devices nearby that might be emitting electronic interference.  That's harder to diagnose.  Unplug any microwaves (seriously!), try changing the channel on your router, and disconnect any connected wifi devices (pads, phones, etc).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
DanielK
Level 7

Good news. I think the problem is solved. I switched my wifi channel from automatic to a manual channel. The remote seems to be working flawlessly now. Thanks for your help Shawn.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

No problem.  If you continue to encounter issues, let us know!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos