Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bebe
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick+ remote and Private Listening draining batteries

Jump to solution

Purchased in Sept. 2020. Because of houseguests I’ve been using the earphones and suddenly the remote is going thru two batteries a day. New batteries. And as it drains the batteries it begins painfully loud screeching static into the earphones. I purchased this Roku model specifically for the headphones. I have never had any piece of electronics that included headphones that drain the batteries after a few hours of use. It’s also extremely disturbing when they start screeching into my head. I still have my receipt so if Roku can’t make it right I’ll return it and buy a different brand.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My remote goes through batteries every week

Jump to solution

@SHoff93827 @domm449 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

For more information about how to send a PM, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue with your remote battery draining, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

For more information about how to send a PM, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick+ remote

Jump to solution

Be sure you unplug the earphones when not in use.  Whenever the earphones are plugged in the unit keeps the earphone amplifier turned on, drawing down the batteries.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Bebe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The earphones live in a drawer when not in use. And using them for a few hours should not deplete new batteries. That’s an indication of a serious flaw. I use earphones on my iPod for hours a day, I use them for my tablet and have no problem, but this unit drains them in a day. And the screeching noise they make is painful and indicative of a serious product failure. Roku has received numerous letters on this issue at this site but apparently Roku is going to pretend it’s not an issue. Typical corporate bs. I’ll be returning the unit and get a better brand that won’t deafen me and cost me I replacing batteries daily. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bebe 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that using the Private Listening feature on your remote will use significantly more battery power than when not using Private Listening.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bebe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well that seems to put Roku electronics in the prehistoric age as I use my Samsung phone and my iPad with earphones and they don’t drain the battery to death, and they don’t squeal and whine when I use them. I realize you are being honest about the outcome of using the “private listening” mode. Btw, that’s an embarrassing corporate term. Does Roku think that saying private listening somehow elevates their two cent plastic earplugs into a new form of technology?  “Excuse me, I must put in my private listening device.”  Seriously. This is a problem with your technology. Once a few more of your customers suffer some kind of hearing damage cuz your private listening device and your remote make an ungodly screeching directly into their ears there may be people who decide that other technology, like the upcoming google chromecast changes, are a better choice. I understand that corporations don’t want to admit, “Hey, we have this great private listening option but it will eat your batteries and it makes a painful noise when it’s failing, but otherwise, great device.”  I’ll be returning my Roku and its private listening device and shopping for something that works properly. Unless Roku has an actual solution?  

0 Kudos
SHoff93827

My remote goes through batteries every week

Jump to solution

I purchased the new 2020 Hd Roku live the headphone feature but My batteries are going dead every week. Very disappointed 

Steve

0 Kudos
domm449
Reel Rookie

Re: Streaming Stick+ remote and Private Listening draining batteries

Jump to solution

I purchased a streaming stick a month or so ago and it too is eating batteries.  I see Danny has addressed this but can't figure out how to pm him...help...thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SHoff93827 @domm449 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

For more information about how to send a PM, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JRG1

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem? My remote keeps using up the batteries have to replace them every couple days and don't use the private listening? I tried to PM you the details but was unavailable to do after double checking I wasn't missing something on how to PM you.

0 Kudos
elv2020

Jump to solution

Same issue here. Bought 3 Smart Sticks during Prime day - all of them have the same issue with the remote. Feels like I'm changing remote batteries at least every couple of weeks on each remote...most of which get minimal use. I'm also unable to PM @RokuDanny-R but would like assistance in fixing this issue. Costing me a fortune in AAA batteries to own these devices right now. 

0 Kudos