Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LDS001
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick + intermittent volume restriction /mute issues

I have had my Streaming Stick + remote for about a year and it has been working fine.  About 6 weeks ago…all functions stopped working….I reset the stick and all was well.  

Now the last three weeks the volume button gets stuck and will only go up or down one volume step.  EX:  if the volume is set to “8” and I want to have more or less volume….it will only go to “9” or “7”.   Also, if I turn the mute button on….I cant get the volume back.  It doesn’t matter what number the volume is on…..intermittently it only goes up or down one number.

Turning the TV off fixes the problem……but it always comes back.  Maybe and hour….maybe 5 hours…..etc…but it is multiple times every day.

I have spoken with numerous ROKU techs…we have reset the device…..made sure the software is up to date…..resetting has been done numerous time.  Of course it works temporarily as the TV had been off.

I just ordered an extender.  After that I was told if the extender did not fix it….I should order a new remote.

I find it curious that it had been working perfectly for a long time and then…this.

Anyone have this issue

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
boiler70
Reel Rookie

Re: Streaming Stick + intermittent volume restriction /mute issues

Yes...  very similar issue....  Volume up and down as well as mute do not function at all from time to time....  Need to wait several minutes, then all works again....  Not a TV problem, as the brand TV remote volume/mute works fine when Roku remote volume control fails.

0 Kudos
boiler70
Reel Rookie

Yes...  very similar issue....  Volume up and down as well as mute do not function at all from time to time....  Need to wait several minutes, then all works again....  Not a TV problem, as the TV remote volume/mute works fine when Roku remote volume control fails.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @boiler70,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're more than happy to assist you with your remote. Please try these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & Devices.
  3. Select Remotes followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up the remote for TV control.

After doing so, please try to restart the system by pressing the Home button on your remote, then go to Settings, System, Power, and System Restart. You can also check out this link here for why your Roku remote is not controlling the power and volume on the TV.

Warm regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrPresto
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku stick, with up-to-date software, and I’ve noticed the exact same problem.  I’ve also noticed something else that’s very strange:  Whenever the volume controls and mute become disabled, I’ve been able to fix it instantly by picking up another remote control for my TV set, and pressing any of the same buttons – volume up, volume down, or mute.  Once I’ve done this, the disabled functions on my Roku stick remote become instantly restored.  I hope the Roku problem solvers can use this observation to fix this bug in their product.

0 Kudos