Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beachmason
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick 4K remotes not turning on Stick if not used for a few hours

Jump to solution

I am a new Roku customer and installed 5 4K streaming sticks yesterday. Everything in set-up was uneventful and the system works great. The issue is that if I turn the TV & Roku off with the remotes, and don't turn on again for a few hours, the TV turns on but the Roku Stick doesn't respond. The only way to get back on line is to either pull the power on the Roku or hit the reset button on the Stick. I have tried numerous times after that to re-pair the remote and all works great until I shut down for awhile again.

I googled and have updated one system to turn off the option to shut off after 20 minutes of inactivity. I have not changed any other systems to turn off the Bandwidth Saver.

What is going on? I saw some posts in google about the remote going into sleep mode, but that doesn't make sense and the remote is still working the TV, just not the RoKu Stick??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick 4K remotes not turning on Stick if not used for a few hours

Jump to solution

@Beachmason 

"So far loving this decision of Roku/UtubeTV after 23 years of DirectTV!!"

Great to hear.  May take a little getting used to and can be a bit confusing early on, but no matter when you switch to streaming, you always wish you had switched earlier.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Beachmason 

The power button and volume controls on your Roku remote are TV controls.  They will only power on the TV (not the Roku device) and adjust the TV's volume.

Normally, you will need to press the Home button on the Roku remote to "wake up" a Roku device that has been inactive and entered Sleep Mode.  

If you enable Roku's 1-touch Play, then you should be able to press any button on the Roku Remote (with the exception of the power and volume buttons), like the Home button, the arrow keys, etc., and that should simultaneously power on your TV, wake the Roku device, and switch to the appropriate HDMI port that Roku is installed in. (This is a CEC feature so may have to enable CEC under your TV settings, using your TV remote as well.)

To enable 1-touch Play (Settings/System/Control Other Devices/1-touch play (press OK to Enable)

---

Since new to Roku, remember to press the Home button after you are finished streaming in order to return to Home Screen before turning off TV with the Power button.  Otherwise, the Roku will continue to stream and use bandwidth/data.  By leaving Bandwidth Saver Enabled, this feature will automatically stop streaming after 4hrs in order to save bandwidth/data.

I personally would Disable the Power Savings Feature. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Savings).  This feature is actually causing some problems for users.  I see little benefit in having it enabled.

The little reset button on the Streaming Sticks are really only meant to perform Factory Reset procedure - not meant to be used as an on/off button. (although a short press will complete a simple reboot).

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help. 

0 Kudos
Beachmason
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you - I will try tomorrow after inactivity for a night. I guess I assumed that the power button on a Roku remote powered up the Roku :).  Thank you for the advice on how to shut down to stop streaming.

So far loving this decision of Roku/UtubeTV after 23 years of DirectTV!!

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Beachmason 

"So far loving this decision of Roku/UtubeTV after 23 years of DirectTV!!"

Great to hear.  May take a little getting used to and can be a bit confusing early on, but no matter when you switch to streaming, you always wish you had switched earlier.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
Rbitonti41

Jump to solution

How to get free utube , no adds

0 Kudos