Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJ2084

Static electricity vs Roku TV Remote

When I walked across the room to grab my RCA Roku TV remote, I had built up static electricity. When I shocked myself, and subsequently the remote, it messed up the remote. It doesn’t respond to buttons pushed and redirects the TV to RDIO. I have replaced batteries, unplugged the TV, and reset everything but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone else?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Static electricity vs Roku TV Remote

I have touch many of remotes in my life and that hasn't ever happened to where it harmed the remote, no. If you need a new remote you don't have to get an rca roku tv remote, roku tv remotes by tcl, Insignia, onn, magnavox, jvc, westinghouse, sanyo all work on each others models. Just don't get Sharp or Hisense.

I suggest getting the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer remote, there are many on ebay for under $10:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-Universal-Remote-Streaming-Control-3-Devices-Stream-Box-TV-Audi...

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MackAttack

Literally just happened to ours! Static electricity zapped the remote and is now not working. Tried all the tricks to fix it and nothing. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MackAttack 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MelodyC
Reel Rookie

Just happened with mine also. Is there a fix?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MelodyC,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? How long has the issue been occurring? What Roku model device are you using?

Keep us posted with the details.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MelodyC
Reel Rookie

Husband handed me the remote and static electricity shocked us both twice. The remote wouldn’t work afterwards. It came with our TCL 55 inch TV we purchased at Walmart. It has Netflix, Hulu, Roku and Disney+ buttons.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Roku only supplies the UI for Roku TV's, you need to get touch with TV manufacturer for a replacement remote. Or go to eBay Roku tv IR remote a real cheap there, look for the crescent moon key that makes it an iR Roku tv remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MAC20
Reel Rookie

Same thing happened to my remote. Static electricity knocked it out completely. Totally unacceptable to have a remote that is so sensitive to static electricity. And there is no warning sticker regarding same. I just bought the Roku Ultra LT yesterday and one day later the remote was fried by static electricity---Really?! Give me a break! If I had known the remote was susceptible to being easily damaged by static electricity I would have taken precautions, such as touching a metal object to discharge built up static electricity. Then I would have bought an antistatic resealable bag which is used to protect computer components, etc.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MAC20,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Once we have this information, I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos