Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reel Rookie

Starting yesterday, both my Roku Express units switch to Prime Video without user input.

Jump to solution

After power on, the Express goes to home for a second and then brings up Prime Video.  HOME button on remote brings up home screen for a split second, and then Prime loads without being requested.  Can't get a stable home screen for more than a couple of seconds.  This is the case for 2 Express units.  Can't use the home screen menu or selection options.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reel Rookie

Re: Starting yesterday, both my Roku Express units switch to Prime Video without user input.

Jump to solution

Solution!!  I concluded that one of the Express remote controls might be defective.  Since there is an "Amazon" key on the remote, I decided to test if the key was stuck.  I discovered that if I removed the batteries from the defective remote, the problem went away.  The stuck key not only sent the Express to Prime Videos continuously, but it also interfered with remotes for other devices.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Reel Rookie

Re: Starting yesterday, both my Roku Express units switch to Prime Video without user input.

Jump to solution

Update: I removed Prime Video from one of my Express units. After doing so, no key would work on my remote.  The display remained on the screen asking if I want to add Prime Video.  I pulled the power connector to re-start the Express.  It came back to the home screen.  After remaining on the home screen for a few minutes it switched on its own volition to the "add channel" for Prime again.  No buttons were pushed on the remote.  Again I can't move it from the "add channel" screen for Prime.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Put your remotes in a drawer, or somewhere away from the Roku players. Then power cycle the Roku and see if it happens again. If it does not happen, then there's a sticking button on a remote, although I'm not aware of any Roku remote having a dedicated button for Prime. 

If it still happens, there's only two possible reasons. One is that the devices are defective. I've never seen such a thing happening, and it isn't something commonly reported here. But it's an electronic device, and they can fail. The other reason is that someone is messing with you, using the Roku app on a phone to control your Roku over your network. Your Express players use IR remotes, so they only work when there are in the same room as the Roku and have a clear line of sight to the player. The app will work anywhere as long as it's connected to the same network. It can't do it over the Internet, so it would have to be someone nearby. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Solution!!  I concluded that one of the Express remote controls might be defective.  Since there is an "Amazon" key on the remote, I decided to test if the key was stuck.  I discovered that if I removed the batteries from the defective remote, the problem went away.  The stuck key not only sent the Express to Prime Videos continuously, but it also interfered with remotes for other devices.

0 Kudos