Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim63114
Reel Rookie

Re: Star on remote does not access options

Jump to solution

I just started having the same problem.  I tried taking out the New batteries and also re-linking the remote but still no luck.  However the menu works on live TV but not within Roku.  Strange.  Please let me know if they have anything that works for you.

0 Kudos
Tape

Jump to solution

The close captioning control is not available on the tiles screen and the asterisk is not available on the Home Screen. How do I access close captioning?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tape,

Welcome to the Roku Community! I understand that you want to know how to enable close captioning.

Closed captions are not visible until activated. For some service providers, closed captions are activated from within the channel. The closed captioning settings available on your Roku streaming device have no effect on the content from these service providers.

For many channels, closed captions can be activated from the settings of your Roku device.

1. Press the Home button home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. To open the captions menu, select Accessibility. If Accessibility is not listed, select Captions.
  4. Select Captions mode and choose when captions appear.
    • Off – captions never appear
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their own settings, closed captions are activated within their channel.
    • On replay – captions appear only after pressing the Replay button replay button on Roku remote on your Roku remote (with content that supports instant replay)
    • On mute – captions appear only when volume is muted.

• Note: The "On mute" selection is not available on all Roku devices.

For channels that use the closed captioning settings available on your Roku device, closed captions can often be turned on or off during playback.

Note: Not all channels make this feature available.

1. After playback begins, press the Star button options button on Roku remote on your Roku remote to open the Options menu.
  2. Scroll up or down and locate Closed captioning.
  3. Use the left or right button on your remote and choose when captions appear.
    • Off – captions never appear
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their settings, closed captions are activated within their channel.
    • On replay – captions appear only after pressing the Replay button replay button on Roku remote on your Roku remote (with content that supports instant replay)
    • On mute – captions appear only when the volume is muted.

• Note: The "On mute" selection is not available on all Roku devices.

When closed captions are turned on or off during playback, the setting is retained for future programs.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I enable closed captioning? | Official Roku Support

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Many thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
odinbruder

Jump to solution

ok... this problem has baffled me for a month.  the issue is formatting.  press the '*' button while in the movie while in the Paramount + app while in the roku.  there are three options there 1). Captions mode, 2). Caption track & 3). Audio Track.  I am using a Yamaha soundbar and it wants the Audio Track set to (Dolby Digital, Surround) not (English, AAC, Stereo) and not  (Spanish(MX), AAC, Stereo).  Bonne Chance~✓

0 Kudos
Mike0602
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, this does not help, as pressing the Star button while any program is streaming does not bring up any menu. I have enabled "Closed captioning on always" in the Roku menu but this does not help either. I am using a Roku Express 4K+ device with a Toshiba TV.

I do not have this problem with my other TV, which is a TCL with Roku built-in.

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mike0602

Thanks for the post.

It would appear that the * button on your remote is not functioning properly.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Missy29

Jump to solution

So my arrows don’t work either.  I just here the tone every time I try to choose a channel. The only thing I can do is push the selected  “Netflix” or Hulu button. Once in those apps, the remote works perfectly! But all my other channels are impossible to access.  I have unplugged and restarted but nothing seems to work.   

0 Kudos
Mike0602
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What worked for me was a System Restart, as suggested by Roku Tech Support. To accomplish this:

Settings>System>Power>System Restart>Restart.

I don't think it can hurt. Give it a try, and let me know if it works.

0 Kudos
jj60025

Jump to solution

A few observations:

(1) As regards getting a new code, the only directions I could find in other discussions said that you have to do a factory reset.  I found the page OP refers to, where the author says the Options menu has an entry for requesting a new code.  But based on the activation process that page describes, I believe it is outdated and no longer valid.  So the information OP found was inaccurate.

(2) It IS accurate to say that the Options menu is context-sensitive -- that is, the star button will open different menus if you are on a channel, IN an actively streaming show, etc.

(3) Grayed out, but still works.  This is my experience:  I put in a new box, and wanted to rearrange the tiles.  I forgot how, but saw guides say "press the star/options button."  But Options is grayed out.  What's more, when I select a channel, Options is STILL grayed out (I believe that is a problem).  Fortunately, though, it still opens the options menu for me even though it's grayed out.  So I select a channel, press the star button, and proceed with moving the tile.

0 Kudos
cjc3039
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As of Sept. 15th, I've been having the same problem. The star button on my TV screen is NOT greyed out, BTW. I've tried all the suggestions with no results. Also, suddenly last week, my Roku app on my Android phone isn't "found", so I can't use my Roku remote to, say, listen to the TV on my phone. I've done everything I can think of, including trying the suggestions in this forum. If the only solution is to do a factory reset, I may as well ditch Roku and go with another streaming device....one whose customer service actually provides customer service to its customers!

0 Kudos