Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Star on remote does not access options

Jump to solution

When it's dimmed it's not available/useful in that situation (it's context sensitive).  You probably have to be actually watching a video for it to become active for audio modes.  Of course, at that time there's no "Options *" displayed on the screen.  I don't have a TV to check, but are the same options available under Settings->Audio?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Homeworkn2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My star button stopped working on my remote and remote app on .y phone. I cannot access that menu anymore ie to set my mode to movie. I did a partial factory reset and need to change my sound mode etc. Help 

0 Kudos
Homeworkn2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Now it works. Been using this for 2 yrs. It just decides to do odd things then fixes itself. Thanks for your patience Danny and everyone  

0 Kudos
Apiercy82

Jump to solution

Hi there, ive been dealing with the same issue now over the last week. It was just working a week ago now when i hit the * button it just makes a ding but the options are no longer visable. Did you ever get anywhere with this issue? Its just driving me a little bonkers because obviously we can go througg the regular settings to do all the things in that box BUT the shortcut is there for a reason so It would be noce to fix. Thanks for any help you may be able to lend!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Apiercy82 

Thanks for the posts.

Where are you using the * button? Are you using the button during the Home screen or on a specific channel? Have you tried removing the batteries or switching them out to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing? Have you made sure that the * button or any of the other buttons aren't lodged?

Please be aware that the * button functionality will only work if the channel has allowed that button to function.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jwaand

Jump to solution

Troubleshooting by re-pairing the remote solved this problem for me, good luck.

When your Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote. Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment of your remote for 5 seconds or until you see the pairing light on the remote begin to flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

0 Kudos
BennyshaJ

Jump to solution

Shouldn’t the star button also give you options to adjust the brightness, set a timer, etc while on an app? Because the feature isn’t working for me.

Diane_89

Jump to solution

My star on the remote does not work I try to go on it to make my screen brighter you know how you go to those options it does not work

0 Kudos
Pv3

Jump to solution

This is exactly my problem too. It suddenly stopped working. To be absolutely clear, the * button usually brings up the shortcut menu on the left of the screen to change picture settings, set timer etc. Now the menu does not show up. Same channel same app, so please stop saying it is channel dependent - we know this. We have been using the tv obviously. It will still activate the accessibility setting if I double-click it, which means the tv still knows the button exists. To make it clear, let’s assume I’m on Netflix. If I hit * it usually brings up the shortcut menu. That stopped working.

0 Kudos
Bulldawg7

Jump to solution

My * button takes me where I want to go. I can (could)turn subtitles on and off using the *. Now, if I go from subtitles to no subtitles, I am thrown out of the program(HULU) I am watching.....and I have to sign back in and watch the program I WAS watching from the beginning again....and guess what?? Can't fast-forward thru the commercials. I don't if I have changed some setting....but it is quite annoying...thanks for any light that you might be able to shed...

0 Kudos