Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mbbuckalew
Reel Rookie

Re: Simple remote not working

Because it did NOT come with a voice remote, it came with a simple remote. So, the confusion is on Roku’s part. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mbbuckalew, if you got a 3941 with a simple remote then you got ripped off.  You probably got one that was returned with the remote swapped out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Mbbuckalew  Where did you purchase your Roku from? Walmart? Best Buy? Amazon? eBay? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mbbuckalew wrote:

Because it did NOT come with a voice remote, it came with a simple remote. So, the confusion is on Roku’s part. 

Take it back. Get it exchanged with a new one, checking to ensure that the box is still sealed, and not one that somebody returned after swapping remotes.

And, have you confirmed the model number by looking at the device itself? Not just the box, but the actual device? The model number is on that. Does it match the box and say 3941?

Oh, and just to confirm. The remote does NOT have a power button, or volume buttons, and there is no little button under the battery cover?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
IWIZion

My device first froze on the rolling cityscape.  I tried everything including factory reset which brought the service back.  But.  Now my Samsung tv remote does not navigate and with the Roku remote I must be within 12" of the device.  What next?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@IWIZion wrote:

... Now my Samsung tv remote does not navigate ...

It won't. Samsung remotes don't have Roku codes. Any control is purely a coincidence. Samsung remotes are not designed to work with Roku.

@IWIZion wrote:

... with the Roku remote I must be within 12" of the device. ...

You must be in line of sight of the Roku to use the Simple Remote. Not your eyes and the front of the Roku, but the end of the remote and the front of the Roku. Just because you can see it doesn't mean the remote can see it.

Is there a clear path. No corners, shelving, or other obstacles between the end of the remote and the front of the Roku?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
aatkinsontn
Reel Rookie

SN: S0095222NYHV. The sinmple remote only works when it is withing 10 inches of the Roku Express receiver. I've put brand new batteries in it twice, and still only works within 10 inches.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@aatkinsontn

Thanks for the post.

Are you making sure that the IR sensor on the Roku device isn't blocked and is within direct line of sight to the remote?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aatkinsontn
Reel Rookie

Thanks Danny. It ended up being a bad remote. I got a new unit and everything is working fine now. 

0 Kudos
Rosnan8822
Reel Rookie

I just installed my third ROKU with a brand new express. The remote that came with it does NOT work with the batteries that came with it or some new ones I had and tried. The remotes for the other 2 work with this device, too. But I'd like one that works with each TV. 

0 Kudos