Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmsullivan
Reel Rookie

Simple Remote and my Samsung TV

Okay, this is odd. I have a 12-year-old Samsung TV (an LN52A750 if we're being specific) down in the basement, and I hooked my old Roku 4 up to it so my little girl could watch her cartoons down there. The remote is an old Simple Remote, the one with the purple OK button underneath the directional pad.

So I have discovered, quite by accident, that pressing the TWO top buttons on the remote, home and back, simultaneously, will turn on the TV. This is actually pretty handy since the power button on the Samsung remote has stopped working for some reason, and the only other way to turn it on is by finding just the right totally unmarked spot on the right hand side of the bezel to press to make the surface touch controls light up. It's kind of a pain in the neck.

So my question is, is this supposed to do this? I didn't think there was a way to pair these old remotes to this old a TV. Is there? And ideally, is there a combination of buttons that would turn the Samsung OFF? Because then I wouldn't have to deal with those annoying glass controls at all.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
jmsullivan
Reel Rookie

Re: Simple Remote and my Samsung TV

Ah. A bit more experimentation reveals that it doesn't have to be both buttons at once. Either button by itself will turn the TV on.

Now I just need a way to turn it off!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

It sounds like HDMI-CEC is probably what is turning on the TV.  I don't use it myself, I do have a "TV Off" in my Roku channel grid (at the bottom - but you can get to it by going up from the top, too.), so I assume that would turn the TV off for you.

More info here:

https://support.roku.com/article/360037934914#:~:text=1%20Press%20the%20Home%20button%20on%20your%20....

0 Kudos
jmsullivan
Reel Rookie

No, it's not CEC. The Samsung does have a feature they call Anynet+ but in the settings menu the item for is says Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). So that's CEC, but I'm guessing some early ur-version of it that can't really talk well to current CEC. It was switched on when I found it, but the manual talks about it as a way to use your Samsung remote to control other devices hooked up to the TV, like stereo receivers or video players and so on, not as a way to control the TV from something else.

Anyway, the TV Off tile doesn't work. With the CEC switched off, it just grinds its gears and says The TV isn't responding. But with the CEC switched on, it fails differently. It says CEC is disabled and needs to be enabled for this to work. Even though it is enabled. So, yeah, some kind of weird early or proprietary variant of CEC that the Roku can't deal with.

But I think I've solved the real problem. I was looking around in the Roku remote settings and found the item for controlling the TV, and it said this remote doesn't support that. It's an old Gaming Remote. So I wondered, huh, would a more recent remote support it? And I do have a voice remote for the main TV upstairs. Brought it down, paired it to the basement Roku, and boom, On/Off, volume, mute, worked like a charm.

So I ordered a new remote, and that will free me from having to grope around the bezel until the Samsung's control buttons come up.

Would still love to know why the home and back buttons can turn the thing on, but that's just curiosity at this point.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

This page says Anynet+ is one of many trade names for CEC.

Pressing the home button on my Roku Express (simple remote without TV control) used to turn my Samsung TV on, so I turned Anynet+ off and it not longer does.  That way, I can press Home on my Roku remote to make sure it's not streaming without it turning the TV back on.  (Which I had usually just turned off before pressing the Roku home button. ;)) At the time I did this, Roku hadn't yet added that TV off tile so I never tried that.

If it's not CEC then it could be just one of those random IR code overlaps that has been known to happen ever since IR remotes came out.  However, since my Samsung no longer turns on from the Roku remote, I think it was CEC at least on my Samsung.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yep, Anynet is the Samsung name for CEC. And that's exactly what is happening. I've used the Roku Home button for years to turn the TV on, change it to the HDMI input, control the volume and also powering on the AVR (if there is one in the chain). When CEC works correctly, it's a thing of beauty. If it doesn't, then it can be all sorts of annoying. Fortunately for me, it's always worked as expected with my Samsung and LG TVs and my Yamaha AVRs. 

If you want to disable the function, Roku labels it as One-Touch Play. You can disable it in the Roku Settings menu.

Yes, the newer remotes can be configured to use IR to power the TV on/off and adjust the volume. But for me, the newer remotes that have a power button will turn the TV off via CEC as well. I've never specifically programmed any Roku remote to control the TV/AVR. CEC has done it all.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Ashtayyy

Go to options* on the right side of the screen using your roll remote. Go to “remotes and devices” and to “set up remote for the control”. Once you get there  click to the right and follow the prompts. It took like 10 seconds. It pairs your roku remote to turn on and off your tv and to control the volume. 

0 Kudos

where is "remote and devices?"

0 Kudos