Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SlantyK
Level 7

Setup Roku Express with Phone App (missing remote)

Jump to solution

My remote was broken a while back (dog ate it) but I had been successfully still using my Roku express via my phone using the remote feature in the android app. We recently had our network switched and after when I went to use the Roku the phone couldn't connect to the device (I assume this is because they were trying to connect with different networks).

I thought if I removed the device entry on the phone it would re-find it; no luck. So I tried to reset the Roku hoping it would try to find a new network (i.e. the one my phone is on) and again no luck; it now is stuck at the choose your language screen.

So without a remote, is there anyway to connect to the Roku to setup the network?  

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Setup Roku Express with Phone App (missing remote)

Jump to solution

No, you need a real remote to set it up initially. Unless you can set the new router to the same network name and password that roku still knows and it might connect. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@SlantyK 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that regardless if you had reset your Roku device or not, you would need a physical remote to connect to your new network.

If you need a replacement remote for your Roku Express device, you can purchase a Simple Remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

No, you need a real remote to set it up initially. Unless you can set the new router to the same network name and password that roku still knows and it might connect. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
SlantyK
Level 7

Jump to solution

I never should have reset the Roku as I thought of that as well right after. Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@SlantyK 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that regardless if you had reset your Roku device or not, you would need a physical remote to connect to your new network.

If you need a replacement remote for your Roku Express device, you can purchase a Simple Remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
SlantyK
Level 7

Jump to solution

I might be missing something but I don't see any option to buy just a remote (i.e. the Simple Remote option) that you mention in the products page?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

And your location? Roku only sells remote to U.S. buyers through that link. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
SlantyK
Level 7

Jump to solution

Canada, it's also and older model of the express so I don't know if it would still be supported?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Jump to solution

If its a 3700 express it won't accept wifi remotes, but it will work with cellphone app once you get them connected to the same internet network and password. You don't need a true roku remote, get a cheap universal remote, since the express uses IR remote, just make sure it lists roku. 

Edmund
0 Kudos