Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_p_

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

Yes, @Tnjensen10, I had followed exactly what you did! My controller just died one day.

New batteries 3 times, unplug stick, plug back in multiple time, etc. My biggest mistake was to follow the instructions in the troubleshooting guide that said to hit the reset button... big mistake! It rendered my $35 streaming stick completely useless without buying a new $20 remote. If I would not have hit reset, I would have at least been able to use my phone as the remote through the app, which would have been fine with me.

0 Kudos
sheilawade
Reel Rookie

Lost Remote

Jump to solution

i lost the remote can i activate from my cell phone

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Lost Remote

Jump to solution

@sheilawade 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you are trying to activate a Roku device, you will need a physical remote.

What Roku model device do you have? Once we have this information we can recommend you the appropriate replacement remote for your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sheilawade
Reel Rookie

Re: Setup Roku no remote

Jump to solution

how do i find my roku ip address

0 Kudos
Newryan12

Lost remote? Trying to get in t.v from phone. Plz help?

Jump to solution

Can anyone help if I lost my remost and trying to use phone as my remote?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setup Roku no remote

Jump to solution

@sheilawade, give it up.  You must have a remote.  Your Roku doesn't have an IP address until it's connected to your network and the only way to do that is with a physical remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Lost remote? Trying to get in t.v from phone. Plz help?

Jump to solution

If your Roku is connected to the network, you should be able to access it with the app on your phone. Your network has to permit wireless devices to see each other as well as the rest of the network. Some routers by default prohibit that, and you need to change a setting in the router. Also, your network must be using a private IP address range. This shouldn't be an issue, except for some cable modem/routers. 

If your Roku is not currently connected to the network, it now depends on what Roku player you have. If it is a Roku Stick, you must have a genuine Roku remote. Depending on the model number of the Stick, a new remote might not be available. If your Roku is any other model, then you can get a generic universal IR remote locally from many retailers. Just make sure they state the remote includes support for Roku players. 

But again, if it's any model of Roku Stick, you are dead in the water if it's not connected to the network and you can't get a Roku remote for it.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
franzeal

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

If Roku thinks I'll give them another penny they can think again. 

Instead, they advocate you buy another remote that costs far more than the thing's worth that will inexplicably stop working one day like the last one.  Screw that.

They could have made the firmware's default settings look for a default SSID + password for this very purpose.  They could have made the firmware support keyboard/mouse via an OTG+charge cable.

Chelle6848

Setting up on different network without remote

Jump to solution

So I moved and I am having trouble setting my Roku device up on a new internet network. I do not have the remote, only the remote app. It can not find my device. So I need to purchase a new remote to get any further or ? I have exhausted all resources provided on the support pages and would really like to know if there’s a way to connect my device up as it is. So recap, Roku device connected to a different tv, with a different internet network, and currently only have the mobile remote app. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Setting up on different network without remote

Jump to solution

All you can do is set up your new Wi-Fi to mimic your old - same frequeny band (2.4GHz/5GHz), same SSID (network name), and same password.

Otherwise, you must have a remote.

I am not a Roku employee.