Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Setting up Roku without the original remote

Jump to solution

Does anyone if it is possible to set up a Roku player using the app?

Long story short: The dog ate the original remote (not kidding) so used the app as a remote. Then I moved and got a new phone and didn't have app downloaded until now when I needed to start up the Roku in my new apartment.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Setting up Roku without the original remote

Jump to solution

Unless your phone has IR built-in and the roku accepts IR, no way without a true remote to enter the network and password. If its purple stick, you're out of luck there, the remote are no longer available. If its black roku stick, you can purchase wifi remote from walmart or best buy for $20. If its roku that accepts IR commands a cheap universal from the dollar store or target would do. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Unless your phone has IR built-in and the roku accepts IR, no way without a true remote to enter the network and password. If its purple stick, you're out of luck there, the remote are no longer available. If its black roku stick, you can purchase wifi remote from walmart or best buy for $20. If its roku that accepts IR commands a cheap universal from the dollar store or target would do. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ah **bleep**, like I suspected.

Thank you for your answer!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution
Can you set up your new router to use the same name (SSID) and password as you had before? If so, I *THINK* your Roku will be able to connect and allow you to use your phone app.

You can also order replacement remotes from Roku for many Roku models if they aren't too old. What model Roku do you have?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos