Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnpoe
Level 7

Scrolling Or Remote Issues on Roku 2 XD

I can't seem to find a thread on this topic through the search feature here - please forgive me (and redirect me) if it has already been addressed...

Several months ago I purchased the Roku 2 XD. I use it mainly for Netflix, but do use several other channels periodically. The issue I experience is that the device seems to think a single press of any direction button (up, down, left, right) is a held down remote button: it will throw the menu into a fast auto scoll that makes it impossible to select the intended channel, movie, etc. This happens on the Roku main my channels screen, the channel store screen, within Netflix (when trying to select a film from the queue, suggested films, etc), the Mormon Channel, Amazon, etc.

The only fix is to unplug the Roku and wait a few seconds, then power it back up. Even THAT has been less reliable since the latest update - I used to experience this issue once every three or four days, but now it is multiple times a day.

A second, possibly related, issue is that sometimes the selection button (OK) doesn't work ... If it is pressed twice in a row, the second press does not register. I have to click a direction button o move off the item, then back on, to select it. Example: if I was searching for a film with the word "Mirror", I would have to type M I R > < R O R to spell it. It works this way with simple selections also. If I select something in (Netflix, for example) to watch, and the correct selection on the following screen is in the same position, I cannot just hit "OK" on the next screen ... I have to scroll down, up, and then press OK.

This second option is much less bothersome than the first.

I enjoy the Roku ... It's just frustrating not being able to use it without having to go through a big ritual each time. It seems especially prone to malfunction when I am trying to show it off to friends who are considering buying one for themselves.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RickRansom
Level 8

Re: Scrolling Or Remote Issues on Roku 2 XD

Try to [1] remove the batteries from your Roku remote and [2] use an Android or iOS device connected to your wireless to control your Roku player. Or almost any other device that has a web browser, Remoku should do the trick.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
arnpoe
Level 7

Thank you. The app workaround is working. I still need to figure something toddler compatible for the kids, but this will keep me from going crazy! Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 8

If you have another Roku player with an IR remote it'll help so we know if the issue is with the remote or not. Or a universal remote that's Roku compatible. If your device is still within the warranty period, try to have it replaced. That's what I'd do. Good luck!
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
musicianguy
Level 7

My Roku LT did this last night. I tried everything. Restoring to factory settings. Different remotes. All seemed to have the same effect. As if someone was pressing and holding the up, down, left and right buttons when I pressed them once. I unplugged my LT for over 5 mins, nothing. Finally I decided to try with my TV off and noticed the LED on the Roku wasn't hanging or missing presses. I tried it with the TV on again. I had my TV in a low brightness setting and it started holding the presses again. So I turned my TV back to standard brightness and the remote worked again. I couldn't even begin to guess what was going on. It is working fine now. I also tried redownloading the firmware from the secret menu thinking the SW got corrupted. It was only when I changed my TV brightness or turned a light on did the remote start working right.

I was unable to use the Android app and for some reason my android PHONES will not see the LT on my local network. It sees it on the account. Will not connect. WiFi works fine on the unit it's self. Nada on the app.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"musicianguy" wrote:
My Roku LT did this last night. I tried everything. Restoring to factory settings. Different remotes. All seemed to have the same effect. As if someone was pressing and holding the up, down, left and right buttons when I pressed them once. I unplugged my LT for over 5 mins, nothing. Finally I decided to try with my TV off and noticed the LED on the Roku wasn't hanging or missing presses. I tried it with the TV on again. I had my TV in a low brightness setting and it started holding the presses again. So I turned my TV back to standard brightness and the remote worked again. I couldn't even begin to guess what was going on. It is working fine now. I also tried redownloading the firmware from the secret menu thinking the SW got corrupted. It was only when I changed my TV brightness or turned a light on did the remote start working right.

I was unable to use the Android app and for some reason my android PHONES will not see the LT on my local network. It sees it on the account. Will not connect. WiFi works fine on the unit it's self. Nada on the app.

Check to see if your TV has a backlight option, and if so, turn it off.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
ACraigo
Level 7

I get the problem the op talked about, not on my roku remote, but my android roku remote app. Sometimes it just goes wild and takes off... other times it's fine. Can happen anywhere - within a channel or home area, channel store, etc. Weird.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
musicianguy
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"musicianguy" wrote:

Check to see if your TV has a backlight option, and if so, turn it off.

C. Shawn Smith

I still don't understand what my TV backlight has to do with my Roku remote hanging on commands though.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"musicianguy" wrote:

I still don't understand what my TV backlight has to do with my Roku remote hanging on commands though.

ir interference. If the ir input of the Roku, or many other devices, is overstimulated then the response of the Roku is unpredictable at best.
0 Kudos
musicianguy
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"musicianguy" wrote:

ir interference. If the ir input of the Roku, or many other devices, is overstimulated then the response of the Roku is unpredictable at best.

What was strange is the backlight was dim. Once I set it to bright (brighter) the Roku seemed to work fine.
0 Kudos