Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTC321

SW Update Broke TV Control

Jump to solution

Model 4230X Roku 3

System auto updated to SW version 9.4.0 on April 8. 
Roku remote no longer controls TV volume nor turns TV off, both of which it could do the day before the update.

Checked remote status and it says: “Gaming Remote (In use)” but then says “The current remote does not support TV control.”

I’ve tried everything I can think of but nothing has fixed it. I can only suspect the Software Update broke the control.

TV is a Toshibe.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: SW Update Broke TV Control

Jump to solution

Roku remotes included with any roku 3 are not considered voice remotes, they are gaming remotes with green & blue gaming keys. It might have a voice search key, with search icon instead of microphone symbol. What it lacks for sure that true voice remotes have is IR tv controls. They only way the gaming remote controls the tv volume is by hdmi-cec, try refreshing the cec devices in the menu of the tv? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

MTC321

Jump to solution

So no I’m not crazy...no PEBCAK here.

After 3 days of not working the remote JUST started controlling the volume and OFF again. Inexplicably.

Perhaps @RokuDanny-R toggled the Inhibit bit.

Either way I’m happy again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Do you have the Gaming Remote? 

I had the Roku 2 4200, not the 4230, so I'm not certain about what came with the 4230. Mine included the Gaming Remote (I believe; it's retired and in a box somewhere), which didn't control TV volume nor power.

I thought the 4230 came with the Voice remote and included TV power and volume, which means it wasn't the Gaming Remote. But I'm not sure. You should be able to tell, since you have the remote.

You may want to remove the current remote, then try to re-pair it to the Roku 3. Once you do that, see if it thinks it's a Gaming Remote. If it still says it is, but it's the Voice Remote instead, you'll want to reach out to @RokuDanny-R about it. 

But let us know the results of those steps first, just in case some results leads elsewhere.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MTC321

Jump to solution

Yes, I do have the voice remote, not the gaming remote....should have said that.

I’m not sure what you mean by “remove the current remote” but I was able to set up a new remote and it says I successfully paired it. When I check, it again tells me I’m using a gaming remote.
To be clear, this Roku (I have 3 of different generations) has the voice remote that came with the Roku 3.

Thank you for the reply.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

It sounds like you have the Voice Remote (probably an earlier version of what you can buy today). And it sounds like the software is thinking it's the Gaming Remote, which doesn't support TV Volume/Power.

I'd PM @RokuDanny-R about this. It sounds like they did mess up the remote recognition in the update.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes included with any roku 3 are not considered voice remotes, they are gaming remotes with green & blue gaming keys. It might have a voice search key, with search icon instead of microphone symbol. What it lacks for sure that true voice remotes have is IR tv controls. They only way the gaming remote controls the tv volume is by hdmi-cec, try refreshing the cec devices in the menu of the tv? 

Edmund

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@MTC321 do listen to @Tivoburkee. He knows his stuff.

DBDukes

MTC321

Jump to solution

I checked the TV and all its settings are the same as before. No way to “refresh” them but I did go through and confirm them. I do vaguely remember setting something to let the remote control the TV but that was 5 years ago and it’s worked up until the latest SW update.

When I try to “Set up remote for TV control” Roku says “The current remote does not support TV control.” 

I can’t say what it used to say before the update...again it was 5 years ago...but it seems to think this remote can’t control the TV though it has been for 5 years. Same remote.

I’ve PMd @RokuDanny-R but haven’t heard back.

I do appreciate all your help, truly. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
MTC321

Jump to solution

So no I’m not crazy...no PEBCAK here.

After 3 days of not working the remote JUST started controlling the volume and OFF again. Inexplicably.

Perhaps @RokuDanny-R toggled the Inhibit bit.

Either way I’m happy again.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No roku remotes 5 years ago had tv IR controls on board, it didn't show up until 2018, it was announced in the end 2017. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

That would indicate CEC is controlling it, as you said earlier.

DBDukes

0 Kudos