Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxriver
Level 7

Roku3 remote volume control not working

I've had my Roku3 for about 2 months now, and only recently discovered how useful the heaphone option is. Today, as I was listening with the headphones, the sound started getting softer and softer. I tried increasing the volume with the rocker switch to no avail. When I use the decrease volume side of the rocker, a mute signal shows up briefly on the screen, but shows nothing when I use the increase volume side. I can very faintly hear sound through the headphones and the tv volume cutoff works. I've tried different headphones, replaced the batteries on the remote, and turned the tv off then back on while in HDMI Roku mode. More - checked my sound settings on Roku and the tv to make sure it was not in a surround sound mode (only stereo). The real kicker for me is when I plug the headphones into the jack and bring the remote close to the Roku box so I can see what happens to the blue light on it when I use the controller to issue another command (like the up and down arrows or the freeze player button), the blue light flickers in response but _not_ when trying to increase the volume.
Sorry for that last runon sentence. Ok, is there a base I haven't covered? Or is it time to put my warranty into use and get a new remote? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RickRansom
Level 7

Re: Roku3 remote volume control not working

Other than the mute signal/icon, the volume levels should stretch from 1-50. Does that reflect on your setup or is it really just the mute signal that comes up when you play around with the volume rocker?

I will go ahead and assume that you've already tried the steps posted [here], especially the one listed at the bottom.

Another thing that you could try is to do is update the software on the remote. If you hit the following buttons on the Roku remote from the main menu, a different screen should come up:
- Home x5
- Fast forward
- Play
- Rewind
- Play
- Fast forward
Select WiFi remote menu then go to WiFi OTA update. Select "Latest" and let it do its stuff. Test it out and see if it works now. If not, contact CS and see if they have any other tricks up their sleeve. If not, request a replacement remote. That's what I'd do.

Good luck!
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
foxriver
Level 7

I'm not sure what you mean about "WiFi remote menu" but I did check for system updates and I was up to date (sw version 5.3, build 4016). Last update was 12/31/13.
If that means I'm SOL, do I contact cs via online chat, or is there a secret phone number?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"foxriver" wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean about "WiFi remote menu" but I did check for system updates and I was up to date (sw version 5.3, build 4016). Last update was 12/31/13.
If that means I'm SOL, do I contact cs via online chat, or is there a secret phone number?

Rick's suggestion of button presses will get you to the WiFi remote secret menu. Try to check for an update there.

However, to me it sounds like you got a remote with a bad rocker switch (I'm not exactly sure how the rocker switches were manufactured on this remote, as I haven't opened one up yet), but if it was a bad manufacture or if something was spilled on the remote, there's a chance the rocker is "stuck" in a position that would cause this to happen. I used to get this all the time on old joysticks (if you're over 30 and used to be a gamer, you know what I'm talking about :mrgreen: ).

If the secret screen doesn't help you, definitely contact CS via any of the options on this page (I recommend either phone support or live chat). They'll run you through a bunch of stuff you've probably already tried, but do them anyway; they need to make sure those steps are done (and done correctly) for their logs, in order to be able to evaluate for an RMA. IMPORTANT: Be certain you write down your case number, or make sure you request one. If anything gets borked up, I can follow up with CS with that case number. Otherwise, I have to go through a few extra hurdles, delaying timely help.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
foxriver
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got to the correct secret screen and did the update. No change. BTW, I don't think I ever have seen a 1-50 volume increase icon on the tv screen. I think it's time to contact CS. I'm a bit leery of live chat cs. It's got insufficient "bandwidth" to allow you to know if you and the support rep are on the same page. But, having done phone software support myself, I'll go that route tomorrow morning. And I will keep the case number and names written down.
0 Kudos
Skolvikings
Level 7

What was the result of contacting CS? My volume up button recently stopped working too.
0 Kudos
jane_brown
Level 7

Me, too. The volume UP button stopped working today. I did everything recommended and ultimately did a factory reset. The volume showed 25, but wouldn't go higher as before. The volume DOWN works fine, but in testing that, I'm now stuck with a volume too low to hear. I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) factory reset each time I want to hear through the jack because that's every night.

I've been searching and finding what I can, but nothing is helping so far. I'm sure I've not seen everything, but spending hours researching this is driving me nuts.  Smiley Sad
Somebody help out an old lady, please?  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
malibusurfer
Level 7

Can't change audio level with headphones/earbuds plugged in to the remote. Roku 2 Streaming sees when up or down volume buttons are pressed on remote, and I see a speaker icon on the top right of the TV screen, but when the up volume button is pressed it says 1, and when down button is pressed it has an X (mute). Any help? I have reset the Roku, and put new batteries in the remote.
0 Kudos
txbirdguy
Level 7

I'm having the exact same issue.  The rocker switch is functioning; I can go from muted to 1 volume back and forth.  I can see the Roku is receiving signal because the light flashes when I press volume up but the volume will not increase past 1.  There is some sort of software issue on the box itself that will not let me increase the volume on headphones past 1.  I tried my other Roku controller and I still had the exact same problem.  The rocker switches on both are functioning.  There are no available patches and I tried resetting all the drivers on the unit.  If I find a fix I will post it.  If anyone else finds a fix please post it.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Need2listen
Level 7

Please tell me someone has an answer to this!!? It started for me a few days ago with remote being super loud and wouldn’t turn down? I got other remote (I have two roku’s), exchanged batteries, reset roku, searched and searched... reset router and still waaay too loud? Today I found more things (the secret remote screen) and updated firmware, reset roku, reset remotes, changed batteries and have used three different headphones. Now it is barely a sound and won’t go up? I don’t have any volume icons on tv (have in the past when changing volume) but the box is dimming when I press volume buttons so I know the signal is getting through. I can’t sleep without this! I use it to drown out snores from my partner and rumination from my Brain. Help!
0 Kudos