Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JenniferSaks
Channel Surfer

Roku3 and new LG smart TV

I've been prowling around on here and have learned a lot!  Learned how to pair my remote to the box, for one thing.  But my problem still exists.  Two weeks ago we bought a new LG LCD smart TV.  Until today I was using both the TV magic remote AND the Roku3 remote.  Both were working.  I'd get on YouTube or Netflix or whatever, and scroll through the offerings with my Roku remote.  But today I suddenly couldn't make it budge.  The light was on in the box, and when I opened the remote the green light was constantly flashing, so I came on here to discover what was wrong, and I went through the steps to pair it. However, now I can't use it with the TV.  The TV remote works for Roku, but I would like to be able to get into the Roku settings and reset it.  That's now impossible.  I am not a super techie, but I can follow directions, if anyone has any ideas about this. I was thinking maybe the TV just doesn't want me using the Roku remote with it, even though it worked in the beginning.  What if I buy a newer model of Roku?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku3 and new LG smart TV

@JenniferSaks 

When the green light was flashing, indicated it lost contact with the Roku device.  You successfully re-paired it back to the Roku device.

Did you try to re-program the Roku remote yet under the TV Controls in the Roku Settings?

(Settings/Remotes&Devices/Setup Remote for TV Control)

----

Not exactly normal for the remote to lose the codes you already programmed for the TV, but this is where I would start.  After replacing the batteries of course.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tivoburkee

If this is an original Roku 3 remote it doesn't have tv IR on board, if it controlled the tv volume it was by hdmi-cec. Try refreshing the cec devices in the tv settings. And make sure the 1-touch play is enabled in the roku settings. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JenniferSaks
Channel Surfer

Thank you!  I didn't know I could re-program in the TV controls...will try that.  I also notice tonight that the light is not on on the box. ??

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JenniferSaks 

When the Roku device goes into sleep mode, the light will go out.  Press Home on the Roku remote to "wake up" the Roku device. (the light should go back on)

0 Kudos
JenniferSaks
Channel Surfer

I'll try all these...thank you!  I notice the white light isn't on on the box...??  Didn't know I could program the Roku in the TV settings...this TV is so new and I don't know a lot about it yet.

0 Kudos
JenniferSaks
Channel Surfer

Good to know re: the light.  I can't press home on the remote because it isn't working.  😞

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JenniferSaks 

Oh, sorry, thought you had successfully re-paired the Roku remote back to the Roku device and were having problems controlling the TV with the Roku remote.  If the Roku remote is not working at all with the Roku device, then either still need to re-pair it or find out why the Roku remote is not interacting with the Roku device.

If your LG TV remote is able to interact with the Roku device, then just unplug and replug the Roku device and it should boot up.

0 Kudos
JenniferSaks
Channel Surfer

Yes, I did re-pair the remote to the Roku device (the blinking green light went off) but it still doesn't work (won't backtrack on a video or go out to choose anything else). 

LG remote doesn't work with the device.  I can choose Roku on the screen with the remote and use it that way, but I feel I need to be able to get into the Roku device to reboot, reprogram, etc.  Hope I'm making sense.  I've unplugged it from the TV and from the device, but it doesn't boot up.  😞

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JenniferSaks 

Getting a better picture now.

1.  Try downloading the official Roku mobile app from either the Apple/Play Store.  (will use this as your remote for now).  Make sure you use the mobile app on the same wireless network that your Roku3 is on.

2. To eliminate a possibile wi-fi direct issue with your remote, restart your router.

3. Unplug the Roku device from wall power again.  Plug it back in to wall power.

4. Use your LG remote and switch to the correct HDMI input that your Roku is plugged into. (ie HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc)

5. Using the Roku mobile app, establish a connection to the Roku 3 and use the "remote" feature of the mobile app to navigate through settings.

----

Need to establish if maybe something is actually physically wrong with the Roku 3.  Using the above steps should get the Roku 3 to be able to boot back up and give you control to navigate.

0 Kudos