Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dualeieio
Level 7

Roku3 (Model 4200R): would like to buy/use a non-line of sight remote...

Dear All:

i have a Roku3 (Model 4200R) and instead of using my Samsung Android cellphone's Roku app, i'd like to buy/use a non-line of sight remote (the Roku is in a closet).

looking through all the support pages, it appears like the Roku3 is NOT compatible with any of the so-called "enhanced remotes" which would allow for no line of sight use.

may i ask if my understanding is correct please?  does that mean i need to upgrade my Roku to a current model?  which would be the best model to get even though i don't have 4K?  (i use a projector which isn't easy to upgrade a projector).

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Roku3 (Model 4200R): would like to buy/use a non-line of sight remote...

The $29.99 gaming remote is a wifi non-line of sight remote geared towards roku 3. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

As @Tivoburkee mentioned, there is a WiFi Direct remote that works with your Roku. However, I might point out that for only a little bit more money, you could buy a brand new Streaming Stick+, which comes with a WiFi Direct remote, and you'd have a player that supports all the latest channels, 4K/HDR, and has more memory (operational and channel storage) and a faster processor. Just something to keep in mind.

Your 4200 was released in Mar 2013, so it's now eight years old. So far Roku still supports it, but it's likely getting close to a time it will no longer receive updates. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Dualeieio
Level 7

@atc98092 @Tivoburkee :    thank you both for your thoughtful input.

you guys are precisely right - it doesn't make sense to put money into such an old streaming device.

btw, their "enhanced remote" under accessories say on a table on a page that says Roku3 is NOT compatible with their enhanced remote!!  apparently, "enhanced remote" is the ONLY remote that has connects the remote via wifi.   their info on their products are rather opaque - not clearly stated in bullet points at all!

so...moving on to models for consideration for me to replace my Roku:

-  Streaming Stick+

-  Roku Ultra

As i use a projector and it's not 4K, and replacing the projector is a complicated process requiring installers coming into my home, i can't replace my project for the time being due to the pandemic.

As such, i note that the price differential between the Streaming Stick+ versus the Ultra is nominal.  However, it is SO very unclear what the benefits are of the Ultra!!   may i please ask if anyone might be so kind as to help me figure this out?  even if i won't be using the HDR or 4K or Dolby Vision (as my older projector doesn't have those capabilities), what other benefits of the Ultra model might i benefit from if i were to use the Ultra with my older projector versus the Streaming Stick+ please?

thanks.

additionally, i assume that the Ultra's remote is wifi connected and that no line of sight is necessary, right?  would it be literally a no-brainer to unplug my existing Roku3 and plugging in the Ultra?  is it merely a 5-minute job?  or are there more involved steps please?

thanks.

fyi:  please excuse the dust - this is on a tall audio visual equipment rack.  if you were to look at the plugs on the back of my current Roku3,  would that help you ascertain whether it's merely a 5-minute job to get my upcoming new purchase (either Ultra or the Stick+) to my system please?   i think there is a power input on the far left, an ethernet input in the center, and maybe an HDMI on the far right (the bulky rectangular thing on the right).   thank you again.

Back of my Roku3  2021-03-19 17.55.19.jpg

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Under gaming remote it has listed Private listening, meaning headphone jack, only wifi remotes have headphone jacks. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

The benefits of the Ultra over the Streaming Stick+ is that the Ultra has an Ethernet jack, even more memory (again, channel storage and system memory) and a faster processor. I have three different Ultras: the original 4640, the 4670 and the new 4800. The 4800 is noticeably faster in all respects compared to the older versions. The Ultra 4800 also includes a Dolby Digital encoder, so if your system doesn't accept DD+ it can convert it to standard DD. It also supports a new codec called AC-4, which is an upcoming codec that will be coming online in the future. It offers Atmos, same as EAC-3 (DD+), as well as other audio enhancements. Still not lossless audio, but getting better. 

And yes, the Ultra also comes standard with the WiFi Direct remote.  

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Dualeieio
Level 7

@atc98092 :  wow wee, thank you big time for such clarity.  i really appreciate it.

i just (after reading your reply post) ordered the current Ultra from Amazon (faster shipping).

question please:

as my current Roku3 is 8 years old (approx) and thus, the current plugged in HDMI must not be the latest gen of HDMI 2.0b (i.e. their provided HDMI cable in the Ultra box).

since my projector and my Onkyo AVR receiver are also roughly of that vintage, is there any need for me to unplug the HDMI cable and swap to the new included (in box) HDMI 2.0 cable?  or, can i go for the convenience of merely unplugging the old HDMI at the Roku3 spot and just plug it right into the Ultra's rear HDMI port, despite the fact that the Ultra's HDMI port is HDMI 2.0 and the existing HDMI cable is NOT?

it would be much more convenient for me as it is in a cramped audio visual tower rack.

thank you in advance for your help. much appreciated.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

If you're not interested in 4k you can use any HDMI cable you want.  I have my new Ultra connected to my TV with a dollar store cable and it works great.

0 Kudos
Dualeieio
Level 7

thank you @renojim for your reply.

may i ask anyone here if there might be small nuances of differences in any particular area, whether it be sound decoding, i.e. for 5.1, or whatever else, that might be improved or enhanced by me switching cables to the current HDMI 2.0 included cable in the Ultra's box please?

sometimes, something CAN work but there might be differences, small or big, that might show up with an improved or current spec'd cable.  just thinking out loud as the good folks here are so experienced, and i'm not.

additionally, can anyone think of any reason why using the new HDMI 2.0 cable might work better (or worse) with my Onkyo AVR of the same vintage (i.e. ~8 years old)?  

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos