Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LMB9

Roku won''t work without reconnection every time

The only way I can get Roku to work, using my recently purchased remote, is to remove and reconnect the device/cord that connects the power to the stick that is plugged into the TV. This is not that easy to do every time I want to watch TV. How can this be fixed? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku won''t work without reconnection every time

When seeking help it's always a good idea to report your Roku model, model number, and Roku software version as shown via Settings > System > About. Different models have different features and capabilities, and some things depend on the Roku version you are running. If we have this information to start with, you can get targeted suggestions more quickly.

Roku 10.5, currently rolling out, has added a new Power item in the Settings > System menu for some recent Roku models. In my estimation it is not well thought out.  If you have this Power item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating "After 20 minutes of no interaction" fixes the problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bjmyers

Didn't help.  Everytine I turn on tv I have to reconnect to internet.  Roku stick will not connect automatically when tv is turned on.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @bjmyers

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku stick? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@bjmyers-

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku. 

The USB ports on many TVs power down when the set is off.  That means the Roku must start up every time the TV is turned on.  If the TV starts up faster than the Roku it may check the HDMI port to which the Roku is attached before the Roku is ready to respond, resulting in the TV not finding the connected Roku.  When you then unplug/replug the Roku's power, it triggers a new HDMI check and the TV "finds" the Roku.

If you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X