Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RafterrMan

Roku voice remote fails to pair with Roku TV

Hey all. Recently moved and I lost the remote that came with my Insignia Roku TV. I looked up a replacement and I bought the Roku Voice Remote with TV controls, but unfortunately I can’t get it to pair with my TV. I’ve tried every troubleshooting step I can find on the internet, but nothing really applies to my issue or just doesn’t solve it.

The remote will begin to pair with the TV, I see the dialogue box appear, but after a few seconds, the TV makes a noise, the dialogue disappears, and the remote still doesn’t work. I can’t navigate the menus of the TV due to it lacking any buttons other than a power/input button, so hooking the TV up to my new WIFI network and using the app is out of the question. 

I’ve contacted insignia, they’re sending me a new remote, but it won’t be here for a while. Am I just stuck without a remote for a few weeks, or is there anything I can do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku voice remote fails to pair with Roku TV

Keep trying to pair. With new batteries in the voice remote, unplug the tv for a bit, plug it back in when it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing button in the battery compart for 5 seconds and release. It's okay if the light goes out don't touch a thing until you get a big DONE on screen. Just let it communicate with tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

If you want a cheap universal remote that will work great on your Roku tv, go to Walmart get the Onn 6 Universal remote for about $11.88:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Code in it is 4398. 

Edmund

RafterrMan

I’ve tried new batteries, restarting the TV (unplugging it), letting it just sit to try to pair, but it’s been over an hour now so I’m thinking the remote is just incompatible with the TV. It tries to pair, it recognizes that it’s a voice remote, but the TV plays the cancel sound, waits a few seconds and then tries again, which repeats until the pairing cycle on the remote times out.

I think I’m just gonna get a cheap universal like the other user suggested

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Those voice remotes are garbage.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@demsd  That’s helpful how? I own 3 Roku Voice Remote Pros. Paired in seconds using the Roku menu. Pressing down  on the home button for 5 seconds then pops up the Roku remote screen. It’s also where you can pair wireless speakers and subwoofer 

@RafterrMan Your remote may need a firmware update. Restart your Roku and try updating your Roku 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@Tivoburkee wrote:

If you want a cheap universal remote that will work great on your Roku tv, go to Walmart get the Onn 6 Universal remote for about $11.88:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Code in it is 4398. 

The above remote will give access to discrete commands via use of advanced codes (EFC's). Which are 5-digit codes for individual functions like Hdm1, or Disney+. 

slingtv- 00017

vudu- 00146

Roku media player- 00110

amazon- 00156

youtube- 00097

cbs news- 00090

hbo max- 00161

showtime- 00157

pandora- 00093

hdmi 1- 00238

hdmi 2- 00240

hdmi 3- 00236

av input- 00231

options- 00254

home-00092

pluto tv- 00120

roku ch- 00121

paramount+ 00124

boomerang- 00125

fubotv- 00126

hulu- 00151

spotify- 00212

starz- 00213

crackle- 00218

disney+ 00139

apple tv- 00053

To map the above commands to a key:

1. tv

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SETUP for one blink

5. enter 5 digit code 

6. pick a key

Also with tv code 4398 the 0-9 keys will =work with antenna or livetv tile for direct entry of channels numbers. 

Edmund

demsd
Roku Guru

@Ello2022 wrote:

@demsd  That’s helpful how? I own 3 Roku Voice Remote Pros. Paired in seconds using the Roku menu. Pressing down  on the home button for 5 seconds then pops up the Roku remote screen. It’s also where you can pair wireless speakers and subwoofer 

It's helpful because it explains why so many people have issues with them.

I have two and both are garbage. One stopped pairing, the other causes my Ultra to reboot every time I plug in earphones.

Pressing the pairing button under the remote cover is where you pair the remote.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@demsd  Your thinking of the old voice remotes that came with your Roku. I’m speaking ably from the separate stand alone Voice remote. There are two versions of it. One with batteries and one chargeable. I own 3 chargeable versions. Those are the Pros. And yes you program them by holding down the home button on your original remote for 5 seconds 

https://support.roku.com/article/1500000696321

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@RafterrMan  I own 3 TCL Roku TVs. I bought the Voice Remote Pro for all 3. Love them. Programs in 5 seconds. You can also use the official Roku Remote Control app for iOS or Android 

https://support.roku.com/article/1500000696321

0 Kudos