Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffwinans
Level 7

Roku ultra remote

I have 2 Ultras which are less than 2 months old and both remotes will unpair when the headphones are plugged in. They worked fine for about 3 weeks. They also unpair randomly when not using the headphones. When I remove the batteries and put them back, the remote will work again. However with the headphones in they only work for a few minutes. I checked the troubleshooting pages and followed all the different "fixes", but nothing helps. They did however suggest that I could get a new remote, but as I said they are less than 2 months old and I don't feel that I should have to buy new remotes.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku ultra remote

"jeffwinans" wrote:
I have 2 Ultras which are less than 2 months old and both remotes will unpair when the headphones are plugged in. They worked fine for about 3 weeks. They also unpair randomly when not using the headphones.  When I remove the batteries and put them back,  the remote will work again. However with the headphones in they only work for a few minutes. I checked the troubleshooting pages and followed all the different "fixes", but nothing helps.  They did however suggest that I could get a new remote, but as I said they are less than 2 months old and I don't feel that I should have to buy new remotes.

You should not have to buy new remotes. Ever. But, things happen. However, we're not yet sure that things have happened. First, are  you leaving the headphone plugged in when you aren't actually listening? Not asking whether or not the Roku is playing, asking whether the headphone are plugged in while not actually in your ears playing. Because the headphone being in the jack will cause the batteries to be used at a higher rate. So, clarify your headphone behavior first, to rule out your killing the batteries by leaving them plugged in.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffwinans
Level 7

No, not leaving headphones in, the remote unpair while actually listening to them
0 Kudos
jeffwinans
Level 7

Brand new batteries
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jeffwinans" wrote:
No, not leaving headphones in, the remote unpair while actually listening to them

Are the Remotes paired to each individual Roku? Settings > Remotes & Devices > My Paired Devices If your hardware setup listed is completed as described, you should see one remote on each device.

Assuming that, it may be time to do some troubleshooting. First, how long will the remotes remain paired? Shortest, average, longest for each.

What network band are you using? 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? Some users have reported WiFi issues with certain channels (frequencies, not apps) on the 5 GHz band. Since the remotes are WiFi, that might be impacted. Others here have listed some WiFi channels that work better when using 5 GHz.

If it's not critical to use headphones on the remote, I'd suggest using the phone (iOS or Android) app for Roku. Listening is possible that way. That could be used while troubleshooting. Put in a fresh set of batteries, factory reset one of the Roku boxes, and after setting it up again, check the battery level. Don 't use the Roku. Just check the batteries. Check again in 30 minutes, and again in another 30 minutes. Did you get a bad box of batteries? Are the batteries maintaining power?

For private listening, use the phone app. After the previously-indicated longest time has passed, is the remote still connected? And is the battery level still good/reasonable?

My guess is that somewhere by now, you would've discovered some bit of information that may indicate a reasonable answer for the problem, or some confirmation of a bad device or remote.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffwinans
Level 7

Ok, so I tried everything you suggested to no avail. Remote stayed connected until I plugged in the headphones, then disconnected. I know I can use my app to listen, but why should I. I bought these because they had the option of using the headphones. I also have a Roku 3 and have had it much longer with no issues. I believe it is a flaw in these remotes and if I could return them I would.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jeffwinans" wrote:
Ok, so I tried everything you suggested to no avail.  Remote stayed connected until I plugged in the headphones, then disconnected. I know I can use my app to listen, but why should I. I bought these because they had the option of using the headphones.  I also have a Roku 3 and have had it much longer with no issues.  I believe it is a flaw in these remotes and if I could return them I would.

I didn't offer a solution. I never said use the app instead. I offered troubleshooting steps to gather information to determine the cause. If you're not interested in that, I'll bypass this thread. Won't bother me a bit. My Roku Ultra works.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos