Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

Roku ultra and harmony 650 remote

From what I can find out, the harmony 650 should at least partially work with the roku ultra (since it has IR) , is that true?
But how well does it work?  Does  the harmony 650  have a button that corresponds to the home button on the roku?  And does it have one that corresponds to the arrow button to the left of the home button?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku ultra and harmony 650 remote

The buttons will work however you program them to work. For instance, if you want "Menu" to act as the Home button, it will if you tell it to. 

The Harmony interface should allow you to program any button to any function.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
The buttons will work however you program them to work. For instance, if you want "Menu" to act as the Home button, it will if you tell it to. 

The Harmony interface should allow you to program any button to any function.

Hmmm, ok.  I do not know how much  about how this remote works.  I was hoping that when you told it you wanted to use the roku (I have no idea how to do that), then one of the buttons would automatically function as the home button.  Would I have to program a button for each roku button (again as this point I have no idea how).  Trying to figure out if I want to get the harmony 650 or just forget it.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Yes, you can program a button to switch the input on your TV to the Roku input and have it perform any number of button presses at that time. The manual tells how to do all that.

Why don't you download a copy of the manual and see if what all it will do will work for you? A search for "harmony 650 remote" will locate it.

Is there a reason you want a universal remote instead of the Roku Ultra remote? The Ultra remote controls the TV power and volume (but not the volume of a sound system). If you're looking for a single remote to do TV, Roku, and other stuff, it should do the job. 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
Yes, you can program a button to switch the input on your TV to the Roku input and have it perform any number of button presses at that time. The manual tells how to do all that.

Why don't you download a copy of the manual and see if what all it will do will work for you? A search for "harmony 650 remote" will locate it.

Is there a reason you want a universal remote instead of the Roku Ultra remote? The Ultra remote controls the TV power and volume (but not the volume of a sound system). If you're looking for a single remote to do TV, Roku, and other stuff, it should do the job. 

It is not really important.  Currently I have to use 3 remotes:   the roku remote,  the cable remote and the tv remote.
I need the cable remote to change channels.  But the cable remote will not let me change input sources on my Sceptre tv.   My cable remote lets me do that on other tvs but not the Sceptre.    The Sceptre  does support  CEC and  I have cec turned on and I can switch to my Roku by just pushing a button on the roku, but can not switch back to cable without using the tv remote and then the cable remote to switch channels.  But I do not really know if the harmony remote would solve the problem of  switching sources or not.  Have tried to get an answer to that and have not been able.  I believe the Sceptre is on the Harmony list, but from what I have been told that only means the main functions  like power and volume work not   necessarily input selection.   
Guess I should just forget it,  even if it would do what I wanted with the roku, still might not work for the input selection.  Just trying to find out as much a I can.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The Harmony 650 is extremely programmable, and I believe it might contain a Roku configuration, or be able to download one. I have two, but it's been so long since I've used them they aren't even programmed for any of my existing equipment. The wife would rather stick with the standard remotes, because she's comfortable with the buttons now. She gets a little testy when I add new equipment.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
The Harmony 650 is extremely programmable, and I believe it might contain a Roku configuration, or be able to download one. I have two, but it's been so long since I've used them they aren't even programmed for any of my existing equipment. The wife would rather stick with the standard remotes, because she's comfortable with the buttons now. She gets a little testy when I add new equipment.  Smiley Very Happy

I will probably just keep using the 3  remotes.  I would probably forget which  button I programmed for what.   Trying to make things simpler n0t more complicated.  Guess the 3 remotes is not really a big deal.
0 Kudos
bwaldron
Level 9

Harmony 650 works fine with the Ultra in IR mode and has a built-in configuration with access to all buttons/functions from the Roku remote. It comes with HOME assigned to one of the LCD keys, but it's extremely easy to map it to the Menu button on the remote instead (or in addition).
0 Kudos