Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cminge

Re: Roku replacement remote

Jump to solution

Hi There, I was sent a replacement remote last year due to the constant battery drain I was experiencing. Now my new remote is having the same issue. It often completely drains the battery after I turn the TV on with the remote. It doesn't give the low battery warning it just completely dies. There's also a high pitched sound that comes from the battery compartment when it's dead. I use Energizer max batteries.  My serial number is YH00AE956128

0 Kudos
JohnR21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You’re replying to another Roku user with the same problem, not to anyone at Roku Support.  I don’t know what to suggest, of course.  They don’t answer me, either.

0 Kudos
Zika
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Remote RC399 draining battery

Jump to solution

I found this same problem. One battery draining draining fast than another. This tells me the device is either wiring the batteries in parallel (just as unlikely that they would wear unevenly vs. serial battery configuration) or they are usually each battery separately on the circuit board for powering different circuit functions, which is the worst design idea ever.

0 Kudos
Zika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would hope Roku would  monitor their own support group user gripes and respond with fixes or individual responses...

@JohnR21 wrote:

You’re replying to another Roku user with the same problem, not to anyone at Roku Support.  I don’t know what to suggest, of course.  They don’t answer me, either.

0 Kudos
Phuuuk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You need to email technical support directly to get a response. That’s what I did when I dm’d several moderators & got no response. Tech support replied within 24 hours, I gave them details of my models, & they replaced my remote under warranty. Yea, unfortunately these message board are just a place to complain with no support. The lady who replied to me was nice & solved my issue quickly. 

0 Kudos
JohnR21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve heard that before but have not found a direct address for support.  Can you tell me how to do that or where to find the address? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffd0

Jump to solution

I continue to have issues with my remotes draining the batteries even when they are not being used. I have 2 streaming sticks and one Roku Ultra. All of them are powered via a wall outlet. I've never had any issues with the remote that is paired with the Ultra. I've done the update and still no luck. Any other suggestions. I have the MAC Address, Firmware, and model (RC490). Batteries are expensive.

Jeff Doremus

0 Kudos
Zika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had a RC461 remote with mic purchased in 2/2021, it ate batteries not only often but asymmetrically, one battery (left I think) would also be depleted much faster than the right. Was sent a RC399 as replacement last week, will monitor it. The battery voltages are already starting to mismatch as they are losing voltage, so not looking good. I unplug the actual USB when it's not being used, that stick is collecting u told information about your network, wifi and neighboring wifi usage patterns 24x7, as well as the waste of power. I don't want to power it 24x7 out of a terrible design choice by Roku, as we as pay for batteries every 2 weeks. They need to redesign the remote or the firmware asap. There's no reason that remote should use any more power than any other of the dozens of remotes we've all had over the decades where battery life equalled shelf life. Microamps sleeping in standby and less than 10 milliamps in use is standard. There's no reason that thing can't wake up on a button push and just send a command to the last known stick it was linked with. Then if thats a problem go into aquisition mode, which would be rare if ever. Roku you listening? And what's with the  batteries wearing unevenly???? So many questions about something that has just worked for 50 years in other countless products. This is like belts suddenly stop holding up pants around the world! 😁

0 Kudos
Zika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Oh, and FYI everyone, be sure to run your Roku on your "Guest" network SSID. You don't want that thing on your "private" network soaking up information 24x7 and sending it back to "Skynet". At least on guest it won't have access to the LAN traffic. It will still be able to send a ton of surrounding wifi info and of course all your watch havits back to big brother, but at least it won't be mapping your private networks......

0 Kudos
Zika
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I used the web "chat" function after going to the website support section. The phone support claims to only support initial setup issues. That number is 816-272-8106. You try and select setup and see if they can help with remote related issues since you can't use the without the remote....

0 Kudos