Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote batteries require changing daily

Jump to solution

Does anyone know what the latest remote firmware update (rtn.4098) fixes?

I ask because today I turned on my TV and immediately went to the Roku remote settings menu. The firmware was rtn.4092 & the battery level was 77%. Ten seconds later, the firmware updated to rtn.4098 & the battery level increased to 78%. I left it on that screen for several more minutes and saw the battery level go up multiple times to 81%. What's up with that?

jarjoh

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi Danny - what does having the stick itself plugged into a wall directly have an impact on the remote? shouldn't the stick being powered through a USB port in the TV be completely different than the battery drainage on a remote? 

I just changed the batteries in my remote this morning and with BRAND NEW batteries, it showed red and with 1/3 % level. why is that?

0 Kudos
rjabend
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@jarjoh wrote:

Hi Danny - what does having the stick itself plugged into a wall directly have an impact on the remote? shouldn't the stick being powered through a USB port in the TV be completely different than the battery drainage on a remote? 

I just changed the batteries in my remote this morning and with BRAND NEW batteries, it showed red and with 1/3 % level. why is that?

That is strange! I can't imagine how the remote battery drain would be affected by the stick power source. By the way, the Ultra remote drain is improved over the Streaming Stick+, but it is nowhere as good as a typical TV remote.

0 Kudos
KMR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Honestly It’s terrifying that roku can’t answer this question but it’s pretty simple....

2 factors:

1) These remotes are Bluetooth which means they are paired to the roku stick.  If the streaming stick is powered by the TV USB port then the roku stick gets turned off when you turn the TV off.   When the stick loses power the remote sits there and tries to constantly pair with a streaming stick that is no longer there. This drains the batteries.

2) in their infinite wisdom they changed the remotes to now have AAA instead of AA batteries.

KMR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The remote pairs to the stick,  if it’s powered by the TV then the stick loses power.  Stick loses power then the remote sits there trying over and over again to pair which runs the batteries down.

plug into an ac outlet and the stick will stay on 24/7 and the remote will not lose connection and will last much longer 

Potman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The stick is plugged into the back of the TV and it is plugged into the AC wall outlet. It still drains quickly. I do not understand how you can say this works. Maybe I am missing something.

0 Kudos
Potman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How can you plug the stick directly into the AC outlet without also plugging it into the USB or HDMI port on the TV? It has a cord that plugs into the AC outlent and the stick into the TV. Is there another configuration?

0 Kudos
Admirer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku sent me a new remote and holy moly this new one is same.. after about six weeks my new pair of duracell is drained.. ROKU HOW CAN I GET A FULL REFUND ? I dont wamna play this stupid game anymore!!! 

0 Kudos
ValerieN
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good luck getting a refund - I’ve been waiting a month since they received my cables back and wont refund my money.  Just keep getting the run around.  I wont buy anything from their site again. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As @KMR mentioned, we always recommend powering your Roku device through a wall outlet and not through the TV USB port as the TV sometimes does not provide adequate power to the Roku device. 

We would recommend monitoring your remote battery levels when plugging your Roku device into a wall outlet to see if you are experiencing a difference.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos