Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSK1

Roku standard remote drains batteries quickly, and battery status icon won't stop appearing

Have a roku 3 that was working previously although it was used minimally.  Have now returned our cable boxes and gone to solely streaming, and am having great difficulty with the remote.  It is going through batteries quickly, and even with brand new batteries, the roku is sluggish to respond when a button is pressed on the remote.  With used OR new batteries, the battery icon symbol keeps appearing on the screen repeatedly every few seconds.  The icon battery level varies all over the place, showing red when batteries are new, and then showing green 5 seconds later.  Then back to red.  New batteries drained 30% in first 3 minutes of use.   I have tried resetting the roku, re-pairing the remote, etc. and nothing is resolving the problems.  I am reluctant to invest in a new remote if the problem is in the system or software updates.  I am especially reluctant to purchase a whole new roku system as I have seen many complaints online about similar issues and there is no way to reach a roku employee directly for help.  I am a senior, and not super tech-savvy.  Does anyone have suggestions about what to do next?  Thank you.   

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku standard remote drains batteries quickly, and battery status icon won't stop appearing

A new Roku remote might fix your problem, but you might want to pick up a cheap universal remote that supports Roku devices since I've never seen the "solution" to this problem after hundreds of complaints.  The downside to the universal remote is that you have to have a clear line of sight to the front of the Roku 3.  The remote you have now is a point anywhere remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku standard remote drains batteries quickly, and battery status icon won't stop appearing

Roku 3 can be  8 years old, you really should invest in newer roku looking forward. But if you want to stay with Roku 3 go with an aftermarket universal remote, it will control the roku 3 by IR, not wifi. So right now you are using wifi to just control the volume of your tv along with roku commands that runs the batteries down faster then the use of IR. Your roku is way out of warranty. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JPMIDWAY

After buying Large battery packs at Costco, searching the internet for hrs to fix the problem, my EZ fix is remove the batteries when not in use! It’s easy to pull, taught my wife how to do! Lol

0 Kudos