Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku sound bar on/off

Jump to solution

I'm setting up Roku streaming stick +. My sound bar is connected HDMI to my TV, The Roku remote will not turn on sound bar with TV yet it will turn it off?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku sound bar on/off

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tv's, no audio devices. Its upto the tv to control the audio gear via hdmi-cec. So your tv is not completely off its in a state to accept an IR command to power it on, but it may not be in a state to also send a command to third device like your sound bar? Once already on, it can turn off the sound bar as it is put in to standby. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Try refreshing the HDMI devices in the tv menu. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unsuccessful, thanks though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tv's, no audio devices. Its upto the tv to control the audio gear via hdmi-cec. So your tv is not completely off its in a state to accept an IR command to power it on, but it may not be in a state to also send a command to third device like your sound bar? Once already on, it can turn off the sound bar as it is put in to standby. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I got mine working.

I connected my RokuStick+ into the hdmi input of my sound bar and then hdmi from output of sound bar connected to TV. You may need to enable ARC in your TV settings, My Sony tv was older so the setting was HDMI control. Same thing. Now I can use the Roku remote to turn on the tv, turn off sound bar and tv simultaneously and the volume controls control sound bar volume.

Note: the stick wouldn’t fit to plug into input of my sound bar. I had to order the free extender from the website. Came pretty quickly.

0 Kudos