Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

I am going to pile on here....Roku needs to reconsider the decision and make a remote with numbers on it available.  with all of the apps driving interest in Roku, it would be really welcome and a huge value add for those of us that have more than one unit on our account.

outpatient
Reel Rookie

@atc98092 wrote:

I don't have a problem with the mute and volume buttons on the side, but I'm right handed, and I expect it's very awkward for a left handed person.

Yes you are correct.

bzjwxn

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers? Alternative Rapid Paging Method.

It worked the first time I tried it, and now it won’t.  When I press the left arrow next to the OK button, the word “live” pops up on screen - no menu.  Any suggestions?

TedCohen1

Totally, totally agree.

CAN'T BELIEVE, AS YOU NOTED, THAT NO ONE ELSE TALKS ABOUT WHAT A PITA IT IS TO HAVE REMOTE WITH NO NUMBERS.

I tried Roku but then went back to cable for that simple reason.

Thank you for bringing attention to this issue.

likuko

*BUMP*

Agree, would love a way to enter numbers either through the phone app or some other way with the remote.

This would be specially helpful to us people who use an antenna to access over-the-air TV channels. Sometimes you have to move the antenna to find a channel you know exists, but not being able to tune in to that channel manually makes that next to impossible.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

You have to take thst up with Roku tv manufacturer, roku only supplies the OS for the roku tv, not the remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
EEinIA
Channel Surfer

The tip of using the asterisk button to bring up screen that shows “Find a channel” does not work for me (on a brand new TCL 32inch Roku TV).  When I press the asterisk button on my remote, I get a long list of options that start with “Sleep timer” and include other options like “TV Brightness” “Picture size” “Sound mode” “SAP” etc.  NO “Find a channel” option anywhere to be seen.  Would be great if this were an option for me. 

I’m another new ROKU customer that is quite disappointed at having no way to easily change channels when TV is connected to cable service via coax without a set top box.  Will not buy another Roku product until this is addressed.  

EEinIA
Channel Surfer

Addition to last post:  I am a believer in capitalism (mostly), and so will spread the word to all I know NOT to buy a Roku TV if one wants to easily change channels.  Will try to get the people I know to “vote with our dollars.”  Will leave review on Amazon for my Roku TV with this message as well. 

Are you listening, Roku?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@EEinIA wrote:

Addition to last post:  I am a believer in capitalism (mostly), and so will spread the word to all I know NOT to buy a Roku TV if one wants to easily change channels.  Will try to get the people I know to “vote with our dollars.”  Will leave review on Amazon for my Roku TV with this message as well. 

Are you listening, Roku?

Roku doesn't sell the TVs, they only provide the operating system. It's the TV manufacturers that need to offer a different remote. Roku has no control over that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Gkendee
Streaming Star

You are correct...or at least partially correct. Yes the TV manufacturer is responsible for hardware but Roku absolutely DOES have input in those decisions when they contract with a company.

Also, when Roku conspires with TCL on such a level as to put their operating system in the TCL hardware, they are also responsible for the overall finished product as far as customer satisfaction. Roku puts their brand/label on TCL TVs therefore, they share in the responsibility for keeping their customers happy. Their brand is why most people purchase a TCL TV.

Do you think cheap TCL TVs would sell at the rate they do, even at the lower prices without the Roku name on the box? Nope.

The popularity of the Roku platform is what sells the bulk of those TVs in the first place. You don't get to rake in the dough and not listen to your customer base and get away with it forever. People are catching on and purchasing other TVs that have traditional remotes/capabilities. Nobody wants to scroll through pages and pages of channels. It's ludicrous.

There are other TVs with the same problem (Samsung for one) and I predict the market will shift in the direction of TVs that not only have streaming platforms but also traditional tuners with remotes because antenna TV is making a comeback in a big way, but even many free TV apps like Pluto literally have over a thousand channels. Nobody wants to sit and scroll for an hour just to see what's on or take literally minutes of time just to page through hundreds of channels in order to turn to a specific channel number that may be pages of channels away. It's completely unreasonable.

Roku has a responsibility to listen to customers and put pressure on manufacturers because they are making a killing and their brand is what sells these TVs. Just my opinion.