Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

@StevenCee  As @atc98092  just said no one can tell who is responding to who unless you rage them. Facebook works like that. As soon as you click reply it tags the persons name so they know your speaking to them. As nothing to do with Roku. They did not design this community. It’s a website template used in other communities 

0 Kudos

(Roku Onn.) Not Happy With Roku Onn. T.V.

Not Happy With My Brand New Roku Onn. T.V., I Purchased Two Brand New Roku T.V. And I Can't Change T.V. Channel's Individually, Romote Control Doesn't have Number Button's? What Kind Of T.V.?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: (Roku Onn.) Not happy with Roku Onn T.V.

@laoscarbenavide if you had looked at the remote before you bought your TV, you would have noticed it didn't have numerical buttons. I did that sort of research after a Samsung TV I bought about 8 years ago also came with a simple remote with no numeric buttons. So, it's not just Roku TVs. Also, Roku doesn't make the TVs, so your complaint is really with Onn, or whomever made the TV in question.

Finally, capitalizing each word in a sentence makes it more difficult to read. Please just use normal sentence structure. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Brandito
Binge Watcher

Such a helpful response

@atc98092 wrote:

@laoscarbenavide if you had looked at the remote before you bought your TV, you would have noticed it didn't have numerical buttons. I did that sort of research after a Samsung TV I bought about 8 years ago also came with a simple remote with no numeric buttons. So, it's not just Roku TVs. Also, Roku doesn't make the TVs, so your complaint is really with Onn, or whomever made the TV in question.

Finally, capitalizing each word in a sentence makes it more difficult to read. Please just use normal sentence structure. 

atc98092

@Brandito wrote:

Such a helpful response

There's times that no other response is possible. He's already purchased the TV, and there's no remote available anywhere that offers number buttons that would work on a Roku TV. Remotes with numeric buttons has been an asked for change for years, but Roku (and the TV makers) have stuck with the basic remote. 

One potential workaround, and I honestly don't know if it would work as I've never tried it, is possibly using the Roku app on a phone or tablet, which offers a keypad that includes numbers. It works for entering user names and passwords, but I have no idea if you can directly enter a TV channel number. 

EDIT: I just tried using the app on my Sharp Roku TV, and it does allow direct entry of an OTA channel. The one catch I discovered is that when entering the digital channel number, you must use a period instead of a dash between the primary channel number and the subchannel number. So for channel 7-3 you would enter 7.3 using the keyboard on the Roku remote.

Dan

RonOh
Binge Watcher

@Brandito   Great to know.   I also use an inexpensive GE universal remote on a TCL Roku TV and the Roku channel live TV.  I can access channels by inputting the channel number.  Yay!  It does not work for the DirecTV stream app.  So probably application dependent. 

antdude
Streaming Star

@RonOh wrote:

@Brandito   Great to know.   I also use an inexpensive GE universal remote on a TCL Roku TV and the Roku channel live TV.  I can access channels by inputting the channel number.  Yay!  It does not work for the DirecTV stream app.  So probably application dependent. 

Which RC model is this and from where? I hope it will work with 28" TCL Class 3-Series Simply Smart LED (28S305) and Spectrum's app.

Ant @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
Tivoburkee

@antdude 

The aftermarket  universal remotes with number keys will not work on spectrum app, only for antenna or Live TV. Won't  work on Pluto either. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@Ello2022  OK, now you're tagged, as if you couldn't guess my posts have usually been in response to your unhelpful ones. 
Look, you needn't speak to me like I've only used televisions or computers since yesterday, because it only makes you come across more & more like a jerk.  I know Fire TV & YouTube, etc, don't have numbers on their remotes, as they are NOT set-up like Roku's system, which does have every station numbered, in case, you're blind and just never noticed.
Plus, if I use the voice command, all I need to do is say "Channel XXX"  with whichever number station I want to get to!  So, Einstein, if you can use numbers to navigate via the remote voice feature, it's only logical, that a numbered keypad would do the very same thing! To insist otherwise is just plain dumb, sorry.

And if the remote voice function actually worked all the time, I would probably not be complaining as much, but having to manually scroll through 1,000 channels, without any ability to speed the scrolling (c'mon Roku, if no numbers at least let the scrolling move more quickly), is quite a ridiculous time-waster!  Since Prime & YouTube, etc, DON'T HAVE CHANNEL NUMBERS assigned to streaming stations, then bringing them into this conversation is 100% irrelevant, thus doing so, only distracts from dealing with issue on the table. I can't believe I'm actually having to spell this all out to you, as it's pretty clear & simple...

atc98092

@StevenCee wrote:

And if the remote voice function actually worked all the time, I would probably not be complaining as much, but having to manually scroll through 1,000 channels, without any ability to speed the scrolling (c'mon Roku, if no numbers at least let the scrolling move more quickly),

Actually, there is a shortcut to scroll though channel lists faster. Using the FF and Rewind buttons (the buttons with << and >> on them) you go through the listing a page at a time. I can't say for certain that every channel supports that function, but any I've ever tried, such as Pluto, have done so. 

Dan