Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antdude
Streaming Star

Roku remotes with channel numbers?

Wow, my parents and I are having this problem with the lack of numerical buttons with a TCL HDTV (28S305)'s Roku RC. They watch it from OTA (antenna) and Internet apps (Spectrum, YouTube, CBS News, Vimeo, etc.). They really hate the lack of numerical buttons, iPhones' virtual Roku RC app (no numerical buttons too), and don't want to use voice inputs. I can't believe an old school RC still doesn't exist. 😞

Ant @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
153 REPLIES 153
Ffop

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

That comment is a cop out.   I have 5 or 6 channels that I like to skip around.   It is a pain to have to scroll.

antdude
Streaming Star

@Ffop wrote:

That comment is a cop out.   I have 5 or 6 channels that I like to skip around.   It is a pain to have to scroll.  

Ditto. Even worse when there over 100 channels!

Ant @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
ingenius1
Reel Rookie

"The Roku smartphone remote allows keyboard use. Have you tried that?"

uh... no it doesnt.

DAS7396

Numeric pad on Roku remote

I see that this seems to be an ongoing problem...you can't just put a number in a channel guide.  I got a Roku stick for my two TV sets simply because I wanted to get rid of my Xfinity TV boxes, saving me $15 a month.  I like my Xfinity package, so with Roku I could keep Xfinity.  BUT I have a gazillion channels to scroll through.  People have been complaining for years, and yet...no real solution. I hope Roku sees this and makes a larger remote with a number pad.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Numeric pad on Roku remote

Yes, it's been a sore spot about the Roku remote, especially for a Roku TV with no way to enter a channel number. In fact, it's the main reason I will not put a Roku TV in my family room, because we need the ability to enter a OTA channel number.

For general Internet streaming, the Roku remote is simple and easy to use. But once these other channels started adding a need for searching for separate channels inside themselves, they need the option of an advanced remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Numeric pad on Roku remote

For the Xfinity app, while in the guide, hit the asterisk "*" key, then "find a channel" You can pick numbers or type in the name. Admittedly a bit convoluted. With the Roku phone/tablet app, you may be able to directly type in the name or number on the search screen.

Catknox
Channel Surfer

Remote with Channel Numbers

When oh when will ROKU produce a remote allowing use of channel numbers?  Love the device, channel numbers are desperately needed!!

Dirtgirl64
Channel Surfer

I concur. It is a giant pain in the buttocks. They need to change it and change it soon. I haven't even had my Roku TV for three months and I'm already planning on purchasing a new one without Roku. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just replaced my primary TV (a Samsung that had terrible HDR performance). I would have happily gotten a new Roku TV, except this TV absolutely has to have direct access to OTA channels. I refused to buy something that I had to scroll through the channel list. So I got an LG Nano85 and couldn't be happier. I still have a Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield attached to it, as I don't really care for most Smart TV apps. But the wife has grown to enjoy Pluto TV, and it's on the TV as well as the external players. So everyone's happy. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.