Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

Why not just stop being cheap and create a remote that does what your consumer wants rather than make them want to use other devices it’s obvious this is a ongoing issue
Highlighted
Level 19

Roku tv's use a very old code set which many other non-roku TV's use too, even if you were to have remote with number keys that controls the roku tv, the number keys are still worthless, they do not work on roku TV's period.

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 7

I have over 300 tv channels available through Spectrum. Try scrolling through that many. I have over 20 on my favorites. Why not just add an on-screen keyboard to position to the desired channel? Could be like the PIN box display. Very little coding required.
Highlighted
Level 21

@FlaJim wrote:
I have over 300 tv channels available through Spectrum. Try scrolling through that many. I have over 20 on my favorites. Why not just add an on-screen keyboard to position to the desired channel? Could be like the PIN box display. Very little coding required.

I don't disagree with you. But Roku has to decide it's worth the expense. But I can't say it would require very little coding. As someone who has done some programming, those words have always come back to bite me later. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you thank you thank you Basil.  I didn't know about pressing left!! This is all I need.  Kudos!!

Highlighted
Level 7

I agree. Just purchased a Roku-enabled Westinghouse tv...and it is a PIB to 'surf' the entire listing. In addition to a number pad..it needs a page up/down function for the channel line up.

Pressing left button does open the menu...but have fun after that. 

The remote also needs a way to remove individual OTA channels. So far, I've had no success finding a solution.

The remote seems to be "dumbed down" for ease of use....but falls short of functionality.

Highlighted
Level 21

@HoMaMu wrote:

I agree. Just purchased a Roku-enabled Westinghouse tv...and it is a PIB to 'surf' the entire listing. In addition to a number pad..it needs a page up/down function for the channel line up.

Pressing left button does open the menu...but have fun after that. 

The remote also needs a way to remove individual OTA channels. So far, I've had no success finding a solution.

The remote seems to be "dumbed down" for ease of use....but falls short of functionality.

I believe there is a page up/down by using the FF/Rewind buttons, not the directional pad. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

I agree...not including a number pad is passing up millions of potential customers.

I have read that FF and RW buttons are supposed to skip a page, but they don't on my TV.  Even if they did, it would take too long to scroll and select another channel, especially when I want to do that between commercials.

To watch my Spectrum Cable channels, the only way I can change channels is to press the left button, then the right button to go to the Guide, then up or down one channel at a time. It might not matter how long it takes if I was just sitting there watching TV with nothing else to do, but I am doing projects while watching TV and can't take that kind of time.

I have 8 TV's in my home, office, and shop.  My goal was to be able to get rid of the monthly fee cable boxes and replace them with Roku's.  But until Roku resolves this issue and caters to customers who want to be able to select channels more quickly, I will not purchase another Roku.

In other words, in your effort to make a simple remote, you forgot about what your customers needed. It is not a burden to have a larger remote.  In fact, it is better because it doesn't get lost as easily.  If you want my business, add a Guide button, and add channel buttons. Someone is going to do it with Internet TV, and they will win my business.

Highlighted
Level 7

I agree.  I just bought a tcl roku tv and was extremely disappointed to find the remote has no number pad.  It's very annoying to have to scroll through channels for antenna tv stations.  Also the volume control and mute buttons are on the side of the remote, which makes it easy to accidently turn the volume down or off. I even purchased a universal remote with a number pad only to find the number keys on this remote also do not work with this tv.  If I had known this, I would not have bought the tv and would not recommend it to anyone.

Highlighted
Level 9

It drives me NUTS that I have to scroll thru page after page when I could just input a couple of numbers if there was a number pad on the remote. Sure I can press left but I still have to scroll thru pages of channels in the menu. I am a channel surfer and this remote makes it impossible! I have watched TV this way my entire life and now I have to adapt to this awful restriction. It's annoying and frustrating and makes trying to watch TV a very unpleasant experience.. These Roku remote engineers obviously just watch Netflix or Amazon prime and not regular cable. Also, the fact that it doesn't even have a page down/up option is ludacris! I got a Roku TV as a gift and if I had known about this issue I would have definitely never taken it out of the box. Seriously. Roku has designed a product with all these fancy bells and whistles but it lacks basic user functionality. It's completely idiotic and unacceptable.