Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
psongman
Level 9

Roku remotes with channel numbers?

Hi, I might have asked this before but please bear with me. Is there any way or other remote that will let you change channels instead of the up/down feature? The reason I am asking is, it is really a PITA going from channels on the low end, like 2 to 69 on the higher end. I mean. it is really a hassle. Can I ask why no one mentions this downfall? I was going to buy a Roku Tv for my kitchen but now I am rethinking it, as even with Spectrum app ,it takes quite a bit of time and energy to  move around. My neighbor came to visit me the other day and he watched me going through gyrations to watch the Golf Channel from ESPN and he commented...." well I was going out this weekend to either get a Roku or a Roku TV, no way now, too  much hassle"  I am telling you that this must be implemented in future versions to make Roku viable!!!

Labels (1)
14 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

Doesn't pressing LEFT take you to a channel list that you can quickly scroll through with the FF and RW buttons?

Also, have you tried the "Favorite Channels" feature? You know, where you mark the channels you watch a lot? Or are all the channels your favorite?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
beq
Level 8

Clueless question, can the Roku SDK provide standardized commands to enter channel numbers, that different live OTT apps can adopt?
0 Kudos
psongman
Level 9

"Basil" wrote:
Doesn't pressing LEFT take you to a channel list that you can quickly scroll through with the FF and RW buttons?

Also, have you tried the "Favorite Channels" feature? You know, where you mark the channels you watch a lot? Or are all the channels your favorite?

Yeah, I think I  could use this method, but still quite annoying. I mean, doesn't everyone run through this snag when trying to get to a channel without a remote with channel numbers?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"psongman" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

Yeah, I think I  could use this method, but still quite annoying. I mean, doesn't everyone run through this snag when trying to get to a channel without a remote with channel numbers?

I don't have a Roku TV, so I can't speak to how irritating the experience is. I defer to you and other users, since you actually have experience with it. I was just trying to offer something to alleviate the issue somewhat using current functionality and hardware.

Actually, since I dropped cable in 2011, I haven't needed numbers on a remote. But, I hope you find a solution to make your experience better.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

The Roku smartphone remote allows keyboard use. Have you tried that?
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

It's a problem for OTA programming too, not just cable. 
0 Kudos
cadprofessor
Level 7

Could not get the keyboard to work on my streaming channels using roku ultra.  .  Numbers worked on the fietv version using firestick app.
0 Kudos
cxoadvisor
Level 7

I agree with the original question. For Roku based TVs not to come with a remote with channel numbers is a POOR product decision. Most people are still on cable rather than have multiple subscription services. Having to scroll through a channel guide is NOT A SOLUTION. The product manager for these TVs should be fired for that basic design blunder. Or is it a ROKU licensing requirement that needs changing?

latafairam
Level 7

I also agree with Original question.

My dad who is in his 70s, is having this issue with a sharp roku tv given to him as a gift.

He wants to be able to press 1 & 2  to go to channel 12, etc. I used a sharp remote I have for another tv, everything works, except the numbers. It seems tv is unable to recognize number commands from the remote.