Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tredsaw12
Reel Rookie

Roku remote won't go left or up on multiple Roku devices.

Roku remote won't go left or up on any of my 5 Roku devices. This is the third Roku device that's not working properly. It's getting very annoying. This is a very specific problem with the remote and not a Roku player. I've tried EVERYTHING, including new batteries and resetting remote. It worked fine for a few months but now, the HOME, OK, BACK, RIGHT and DOWN buttons work fine, it's just the UP and RIGHT buttons that don't work. The buttons are sticking, they are very clean and you can feel the response is like when it was new. When you do a Search online, there are other people with the same problem. It's a malfunction and should be replaced by Roku. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote won't go left or up on multiple Roku devices.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting a little lost trying to understand certain aspects of what you're saying. You say your remote won't work (UP, LEFT) on five devices, but then say it's the third device this has happened to. Numbers don't match up. So, assume we are not familiar with your setup at all.

What devices do you have? Model number is always useful info.

Does each have its own remote? Or are you using a single remote and taking it from room to room?

Give that background and describe the issue again.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
CB789
Reel Rookie

My Roku remote is having the same problem. Will not go up or left. Have replaced the batteries and resynced. Using the Roku remote app works but the remote does not. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
Tredsaw12
Reel Rookie

Well, of course my previous post doesn't make sense because that's not what I originally posted. Someone apparently modified my post. I had this problem on only 2 devices. There is no fix so I just had to shell out more money to buy a new remote. That was and will be the last Roku device I ever buy. My other TV's use a Fire stick w/alexa voice remote...works great.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CB789

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Tredsaw12

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, it doesn't look like your post was modified by a moderator. If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide the information that I have requested in my above post.

Once we have that information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tredsaw12
Reel Rookie

After much deep thinking I now remember the details of my problem. The problem is with the remote control module and not the actual Roku box. I tried using the remote on 5 different Roku boxes and had the same problem, which was that two of the buttons, (UP and LEFT), no longer work properly. This is the 3rd remote that I've had problems with, (different issues), so I'm getting frustrated. The original Roku box I was using is a

model: 4400x

serial: 4U9660554354

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@Tredsaw12 

That's an eight year old model way out of warranty, get a cheap universal that will control your tv volume too. Remote keys stop working over time and use even $500 universal remotes have button stop working they lose conductivity and no longer make a circuit. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CB789
Reel Rookie

Hi. It is model number 3800x. Only had it for a year or so. I paired another Roku remote with it and that one goes up and left with no issues. So it is definitely the remote itself that is not working. It is in a guest bedroom, so hasn’t even gotten much use since installed. 

0 Kudos