Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SS19
Reel Rookie

Roku remote popped in my hand and does not work now.

I was holding my Roku remote in my had when it physically jotted in my hand and made a loud popping noise. There were brand new batteries in the remote, the same batteries I have used for years in this remote A few days later the I got the notice that the batteries were at 0 percent.  I put new batteries in and a day later I'm getting the notice that the batteries are at zero percent. I need help please. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote popped in my hand and does not work now.

If something popped in your remote, it's dead.  There's nothing anyone can do for you and if it's several years old it's long out of warranty.  If you want to post the model number of your Roku we can suggest a replacement.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Moontanman
Reel Rookie

My device is only a few months old, do I need a new remote? 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Moontanman,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
augidog
Reel Rookie

i sure didn't expect to find an exact match to what i thought was going to be a weird search.

a few moments ago, MY Streambar remote physically and audibly "popped" in MY hand, too. that's not something you'd expect, and i immediately opened the battery cover and checked the battery for heat. all seems normal, but clearly all is NOT normal.

at the time of this posting, the remote seems to function. BUT...I want an answer as to how and why, what to expect, and what to do.

Streambar serial number and date activated 

YL00GA235822  11/13/2020
0 Kudos
augidog
Reel Rookie

as i thought on it more, i may have come up with something. it will require research and confirmation from Roku.

since there's no special battery chemistry involved, i can't believe there's a safety risk. the OP's remote stopped working, but mine hasn't yet...but OP has changed batteries and i haven't yet.

i think that this has to do with the battery "box" and spring contacts...it's possible that something was assembled (or designed) slightly off, and something gave in to the pressure of the battery spring contacts.

i'm expecting serious replies from Roku and not just "we need more information."

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @augidog

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email. They will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
jvr2

I also had this happen today (12-03-2022). Checked the battery compartment. Everything was ok. The remote still works. I, also, would like to know what happened and will it happen again.

0 Kudos