Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hsvengr1972
Reel Rookie

Roku remote not working on new device

I just bought a 4K+ device after my current Roku stick appeared to die. After returning from vacation, it would not respond to any remote control commands. The TV did do a software update when I turned it on. The TV appears to be functioning correctly as the HDMI inputs work with other devices. The Wifi is also working well. So I bought a new Roku device, but I am having the same problem. The new device is not responding to the new remote commands (it is just dead for some reason). It did do the pairing when I unpacked it. However, I am not able to put the Wifi password into the setup procedures since I can not move the arrows. Any idea what the problem may be? I am stuck on the setup page and can't move.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote not working on new device

@Hsvengr1972

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Is your TV a Roku TV? What Roku model device are you having issues with? Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote, or making sure if the remote is charged (if it is a rechargeable remote)?

In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hsvengr1972
Reel Rookie

It is not a Roku TV. I was using an older Roku stick, but when the remote would not control anything, I bought a new 4K Express, today, but am having the same problem. The remote does not provide any functionality (power, arrows, etc). It is not a battery problem, as I have checked. The new device is plugged into a wall socket and power is available. However, since the remote does not have any effect, I cannot complete the installation (I am stuck on providing the PW for the Wifi).

uptwolait
Reel Rookie

Based on what Hsvengr1972 is describing, I'm having the same problem but with a few details different.  I have a Roku Stick 4k+ purchased in January 2022.  I've been using the remote that came with it, the Voice Remote with USB rechargeable batteries.  Over the last month or so, the remote would turn on the Roku stick, but then wouldn't respond to any other button presses.  Thinking the batteries were low, I would plug in a USB charging cable and the problem usually cleared itself up shortly after.  However, as of yesterday it did the same thing but charging it didn't fix the problem.  I tried to reset/repair the remote by holding the rear button until the LED flashed green.  No joy.  I tried unplugging the stick from the TV HDMI and reinserting.  No change.  I tried hard resetting the stick, and now the remote won't even power anything.  The Roku screen stops on a picture showing to open the battery cover and press the reset button, but my remote is rechargeable and the battery cannot be disconnected.  I'm at a complete standstill on what to do or try next.  Is there anything else that might work?  Can I forcefully pry open the remote without destroying it and disconnect the rechargeable battery for a power down hard reset?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @uptwolait

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku stick associated with the affected Roku Voice Remote Pro. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
uptwolait
Reel Rookie

S/N:  S09T41AGL18G

I'm not sure if the second digit is the number zero, or a capital letter "o".

Thanks for any help you can provide...

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@uptwolait

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
uptwolait
Reel Rookie

Thank you!

0 Kudos