Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mygeek911
Channel Surfer

Roku remote not controlling TV/volume of my Samsung TV, even though it has in the past

Jump to solution

Hello, our Roku remote was paired with a Samsung TV, but we ended up pairing it with a different brand TV temporarily. When we wanted to switch back to the Samsung, it will no longer pair. I have gone through the following steps: Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->[voice remote]->Set up remote for TV control

It went through 50 different attempts, and yet none of them worked. This wasn't a problem in the past. The TV is about 5 years old.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote not controlling TV/volume of my Samsung TV, even though it has in the past

Jump to solution

@mygeek911-

I once had a similar problem trying to set the remote back up on its original TV after having been set up and used on a different set.

What finally worked for me was doing the tv setup of the remote as a NEW remote device. 

Settings > Remotes & devices > Set up a new device > [ ] Remote > Continue

.. then follow the prompts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Roku remote not controlling TV/volume of my Samsung TV, even though it has in the past

Jump to solution

Hi @mygeek911,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Let's try to reset the remote. If your remote uses standard batteries, open the battery compartment and remove the batteries. Then remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then re-connect the cable. Alternatively, you can restart your Roku device from the Settings menu with the following steps.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

When your Roku device displays the home screen, restart your remote by reinserting the batteries or using the steps below if your remote has a rechargeable battery.

1. Press and hold the pairing button for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, then stop, then flash more rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote has restarted.
  2. Wait at least 30 seconds to see if your remote establishes a connection with your Roku device. Confirm by pressing the voice button and looking for a status indicator on your TV screen.
  3. If there is no response, try re-pairing your remote. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until the status light starts flashing green. If your Roku device was just restarted, it will automatically detect the voice remote and reconnect.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support 

If you are still having any issues with your Roku remote not pairing after following these steps, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mygeek911
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello @RokuMary-F. I think this may have been meant for someone else due to the opening @ symbol that you used. The Roku remote is paired with our Roku device, I just can't get it to turn the TV on/off or to control the volume like it used to do in the past. I should have made that more clear up front.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote won't pair with Samsung TV, even though it has in the past

Jump to solution

Hi @mygeek911,

Thanks for the note,

Have you tried running the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running?  Why is my Roku® voice remote not controlling power and volume on my TV? | Official Roku Support

If this issue is not resolved with your Roku remote not controlling the power and volume on your TV, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mygeek911
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F 

I had updated the Roku yesterday, so no available updates today. And I've gone through those steps to no avail.

The serial is YJ00CW730502. I appreciate the help.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote not controlling TV/volume of my Samsung TV, even though it has in the past

Jump to solution

Hi @mygeek911,

Thanks for your quick response and for providing additional information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you through email.

Please stay safe and healthy, we thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mygeek911-

I once had a similar problem trying to set the remote back up on its original TV after having been set up and used on a different set.

What finally worked for me was doing the tv setup of the remote as a NEW remote device. 

Settings > Remotes & devices > Set up a new device > [ ] Remote > Continue

.. then follow the prompts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X