Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpmenowfudge
Channel Surfer

Roku remote no longer controls tv

I have roku stick plus.  The remote used to control the TV volume, mute, and power. But all of a sudden it says "the current remote does not support TV control"

How can that be?  It was working fine before.  

I cannot control the TV volume, mute, voice control, and power on/ off

Does anyone have a fix?  And yes I already did a factory reset multiple times.  

Its a new TV.  Please don't ask about the specs.  

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote no longer controls tv

@Helpmenowfudge 

Stop doing factory resets. That won't help.

What you want to do is configure the remote for the TV.

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [whatever your remote is] (In use) > Set up remote for TV control

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Helpmenowfudge
Channel Surfer

That doesn't work.  I did that already 

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [whatever your remote is] (In use) > Set up remote for TV control...............BUT it says

"the current remote does not support TV control"!!!

I've done a Google search.  Seems like tons of people are pissed about this. 

It worked fine a couple days ago. And then one day. It just stopped.  I already did update.  

Its not me.  Its roku that is messed up. Anyone else have an answer?

0 Kudos
Helpmenowfudge
Channel Surfer

That doesn't work.  I did that already 

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [whatever your remote is] (In use) > Set up remote for TV control...............BUT it says

"the current remote does not support TV control"!!!

I've done a Google search.  Seems like tons of people are pissed about this. 

It worked fine a couple days ago. And then one day. It just stopped.  I already did update.  

Its not me.  Its roku that is messed up. Anyone else have an answer?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Helpmenowfudge 

Sounds like the remote might be bad. If it's still under warranty, you can initiate a warranty return/replacement/repair here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

You can get another remote from Walmart, Best Buy, or other such if you want to go that route, or if it's out of warranty.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Helpmenowfudge
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply. But....Nope. Its not the remote.  The remote is new.  New batteries.  Never dropped or abused.  

Matter of fact I've only used this remote about 5 times.  

It's not the remote.  Anyone else? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

What is remotes model number? Look in the battery compartment for RC-?

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

@Helpmenowfudge wrote:

Thanks for the reply. But....Nope. Its not the remote.  The remote is new.  New batteries.  Never dropped or abused.  

Matter of fact I've only used this remote about 5 times.  

It's not the remote.  Anyone else? 

It sounds like the remote to me. You do realize a new device can go bad, right? That's why there are warranties.

It's either the remote or the stick that's bad. And you never said you got a new remote, or if you did, why. So the assumption is that you have the remote that came with the stick.

Keep in mind that there is one way to set up a remote for a TV, and that was provided, and you said you did that. If that doesn't work, the remote is bad or the stick is bad. Probably the remote. Possibly the stick. Either way, you were provided a link to do a warranty return.

Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Helpmenowfudge
Channel Surfer

RC-EL1.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Try this:

• Settings/Remotes & devices/Remotes/Voice Remote (in use)/Forget remote/<Enter code shown, press OK)
  • This takes you back to "Remotes & devices". 
  • Remotes/Voice Remote (in use)/Set up remote for TV control/<Follow on screen instructions)
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos