Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku remote jumps wildly about

Hi -
I have a roku remote that we got from Amazon about a year ago. For the past month or two, it sporadically does this crazy, wild, jump about routine where it jumps from Netflix, to Amazon Prime, to Hulu, turn on audio guide, turn off audio guide, to Weather Underground, and so on. It can last 1 minute or go on for an hour. It wrecks our family night together. Doesn't matter if I take the batteries out of the remote controller.

Any suggestions?

Doug
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku remote jumps wildly about

First of all, is it an official Roku remote? There are many cheaper,, inferior remotes on Amazon and eBay. They look almost identical to Roku branded remotes, but are a little wonky.

If it's not an official Roku remote, I suggest nothing one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Coukd it be a close neighbor operating their roku? The remote is radio so doesn't need to be line of sight.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
First of all, is it an official Roku remote? There are many cheaper,, inferior remotes on Amazon and eBay. They look almost identical to Roku branded remotes, but are a little wonky.

If it's not an official Roku remote, I suggest nothing one.

Hi Jeffrok -
How do I discern whether it's an official Roku remote? That's what I ordered from Amazon, but there must be some way of determining such. When I ordered it there weren't many choices - primarily Roku and an Amazon-made remote, but now there seem to be plenty.
Thanks for asking.
Doug
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"dgrace" wrote:
Coukd it be a close neighbor operating their roku? The remote is radio so doesn't need to be line of sight.

But the RF remotes do need to be paired and that is extremely unlikely to happen by accident.
To me it sounds like the attachment is via an app that gets through the network and controls the Roku. Any Roku app that works via Android or iOS or even on a computer can do that.

One of the first things I would do is, when the bad behavior happens, log onto my router and see if there is an unrecognized device on the network. If there is you could then block that device and, if needed, tighten network security.

Oh, It would be a good idea to pull the batteries from the remote when the behavior happens. I doubt it is the remote that is the problem and pulling the batteries would prove/disprove that.

Edit: I missed that you had already pulled the batteries. That means that the problem is NOT the remote.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos

DGrace wrote:

Hi DGrace -
It's highly unlikely to be a neighbor. The pattern of action is too fast to be a human, on the order of about 100 actions per minute. Hulu loads, then Amazon Prime, then Netflix, then Audio guide gets turned on, then off, then on, and so on, all seemingly random, All the while our remote is sitting on a table with nobody touching it. Yes, I've tried it with and without batteries in and it does not make any difference. Sometimes a whole hour will go by with completely stable behavior. Then, like a bolt out of the blue, it goes haywire, especially turning on audio guide, so that a voice tells us all the crazy things that are happening. I can't turn off the audio guide because it keeps jumping to the next command.

Doug
0 Kudos

Elijah Bailey replied to dgrace (how do I get this preamble to occur automatically?):
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 am
"dgrace wrote" wrote:

But the RF remotes do need to be paired and that is extremely unlikely to happen by accident.
To me it sounds like the attachment is via an app that gets through the network and controls the Roku. Any Roku app that works via Android or iOS or even on a computer can do that.

One of the first things I would do is, when the bad behavior happens, log onto my router and see if there is an unrecognized device on the network. If there is you could then block that device and, if needed, tighten network security.

Oh, It would be a good idea to pull the batteries from the remote when the behavior happens. I doubt it is the remote that is the problem and pulling the batteries would prove/disprove that.

Edit: I missed that you had already pulled the batteries. That means that the problem is NOT the remote.

Hello Elijah_Bailey -
In our house we always refer to the device we use to watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime as the "Roku remote", because that's what I ordered on Amazon and that's what we installed. However, dialogue seems to have progressed to a distinction between the little plastic case we hold in our hands and a small circuit board that protrudes from the rear of the display device. We still refer to the whole thing as "the Roku remote", but for the purposes of this discussion, one is the "remote" and the other is the "stick".

So, what is this router that you have that I can log onto and see if there is some unrecognized device? How do I access that router? If I find one, how do I block it?

What you are suggesting may be so. Although I am not one to use any iOS or Android anything - since I don't even use cellphones of any sort - I do live in a house with younger folk who do love their devices. The only problem with this line of reasoning is that the behavior I see is not that of a human. The behavior is too fast and too random to be human. But I'd be glad to investigate if you can tell me how to get to your router.

Doug
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

To start try these links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(computing)
https://whatismyipaddress.com/router
https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/diffe ... _and_modem

The router is what your computer/Roku/Android devices/iOS devices/other devices and any other device that needs internet connectivity must connect through to get to the internet.

If you truly do not know what a router is then you might need to find someone who does. It sound condescending but check among the teenagers in your acquaintance. 

If you do not understand networking the it is quite possible that your security on your network is poor at best.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos